The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so in the past 6 weeks or so I have gone through 2 5lb CO2 cylinders in my 20gal tank. I have to have a leak somewhere as its only going at about 2 BBS. Any ideas how to try and find the problem?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
The standard method of locating any type of gas leak is to spray all mechanical connections with a soapy water solution (Windex/409/etc also work well and are easy to apply since they're already in a spray bottle).

Wherever you see foaming is a leak.
Soapy water works great as does Windex. I've used it on everything from tire leaks to CO2 leaks.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I had a similar problem. I fixed it by using a new plastic washer every time I connected the regulator, and tightening it with a wrench. I was afraid of breaking it or something, but you really have to clamp it down hard!

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Make sure ALL of your connections are snug. Perhaps even more important, though, is the usage of a new gasket on the Co2 nozzle everytime you detach it. When I first got into pressurized Co2, I burned through a 10 lb in just a few weeks and then figured out the problem. Turns out, I didn't need the strength of He-Man, but I wasn't changing out the gasket and there was a leak at that connection. Do what Bill said and use soapy water. That will tell you right there. Just to let you know, if you use a solenoid and just use your tank for ~10-12 hrs a day, it should last ~1 yr. My 10 lb is at 1 yr 8 months now, but I think its getting close to a refill.

·
Registered
786 Posts
spray Windex on everything, you'll see big bubbles right away if there's a leak. The places I've had a leak are:

regulator/canister connection - with my setup, those brown canister washers shouldn't be used!

bottom of bubble counter - the teeny little o-ring goes here not at the top even though that's how it came. :icon_roll The tubing effectively works as an o-ring at the top.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The flow rates we use for CO2 are so small that a leak that drastically increases the usage of CO2 can also be very small. I found that I don't get big bubbles at a leak. I don't get any bubbles at all unless I leave the area soaking with soap solution for a few minutes, then go back and look for tiny masses of tiny bubbles. Then I find the leaks. And, I second cbennett's comment about the bubble counter, at least for a Milwaukee regulator - mine leaked and wouldn't stop, so I just removed it entirely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.