The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have posted some problems i am having with my current shrimo issues but i had another question.
Whats the best food that shrimp will go nuts for? I have seen on some pics people feeding what looks like a green leaf of some sort but cant really tell.

I have my shrimp picking at plant and occasionally try to feed them some tiny pellets. They go after it but they do not "gather" as seen in pics.
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
262 Posts
The green leaf you see is probably boiled spinach, but they will eat pretty much anything.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I also feed my RCS Omega shrimp pellets, Omega algae discs. I also feed them Ra1n-'s shrimp biscuits, Frozen blood worms, hikari sinking carnivore pellets, blanched zuchini, frozen peas (skinned), Omega algae flakes, & Omega fish flakes.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
The green leaf you see is probably boiled spinach, but they will eat pretty much anything.
Let me correct you on that, Its most likely BLANCHED spinach... When you boil the spinach most of the good stuff is lost. Blanching the spinach keeps more good vitamins minerals and other things in it. I feed my shrimp veggies and rain-'s biscuits along with whatever flakes (NO COPPER) are around.

I'm in the process of making spinach flakes, results are pretty good so far. They just turn to mush too fast... But the shrimp still love it!

So If you want to try making your own food!

-Andrew

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm doing some research - I only seem to see the Omega One Veggie Wafers in 3 lb containers?!?

Questions - 1) does it need to be refrigerated? 2) Is it available in any smaller containers (I'm starting with two nano tanks!).

Thank you all,

Scott
Sanford, Maine

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
blanching it makes it softer and its more ready to eat. Shrimps tend to leave harder stuff. And I guess blanched spinach leaches aroma more better.

If raw is working for you then I guess it might be fine.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'm doing some research - I only seem to see the Omega One Veggie Wafers in 3 lb containers?!?
You don't have to use wafers, I feed my shrimp spirulina-based veggie flakes. They're usually available in small containers, but I buy a 1-pound bag and store most of it in the freezer. I spend about as much for a 6-8 month supply as one or two small cans that way. I also have numerous fish that eat the veggie flakes regularly, not a nano tank or two with only shrimp to feed.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I find making your own is best. You have control as to what goes in it and it's pretty easy to make. Besides all those other foods people have mentioned, Hikari Crab Cuisine is great to feed shrimp with. They love that stuff, I know mine do. :)

Also, Omega One Veggie rounds comes in smaller containers too. Check out Dr. Foster and Smith. I'd like to know where you found the Omega One Veggie Rounds in 3 lbs quantity? I'd love to get that amount!!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I just freeze my spinach and toss it in the tank raw. The freezing destroys some of the structural cells which makes the spinach easy to tear and eat. No need to boil, defrost, etc. Shrimp love it.

I also feed sweet potatoes, kale, turnip greens, mustard greens, Hikari Algae Wafers, and Omega One Shrimp Pellets.

Will be ordering some algae wafers from Ken's Fish soon to try those out. They are pretty darn cheap.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Different shrimp, different diets.

I feed all my breeding tanks of Cherry Shrimp with regular old Omega 1 Tropical Fish Flakes. They grow fast and color up nicely.

Tom

·
Registered
1,681 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Is the shrimp buscuit recipe about here somewhere?

Also is Hikiri "Crab Cuisine" any good?

Yes. my shrimp love Hikari Crab Cuisine! :) As far as shrimp buscuit recipes and such, there is a thread here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/s...-added.html?highlight=homemade+shrimp+cookies

It's a general recipe. You basically add what you want, or more like what your shrimp enjoy eating. I have found that using a dehydrator is better, but if you don't have one, just use your oven . Not hard to make at all. :)

Thanks Frawg for the link! :) Sure do save buying in bulk! Especially on that item.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks, i'll have a stab at making some buscuits.I'll also get a pack of crab cuisine as my girlfriend has informed me shes got me a land hermit crab as part of my valentines day gifts :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
i seriously need to find something new. my crs are anorexic.

blanched spinach, nope, crab cuisine, nope, algae waffers nope. got some hikari crs food on order. hopefully that will work.

they seem to just like to pick at piece of crap all over the subsrtate than anything i put in.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I don't know what the best types of foods are but I do know that some of the homemade foods I have gotten from fellow hobbyist are my shrimps' favorites:D!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts