The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i filled my aquarium 7 days ago. Full RO water. I mineralized the water and accidentaly raised it over 15+ GH. I did a 50% water change. Dropped to exactly 12. My tropica soil have ammonia so the cycle started. I have co2 running. Qnd my plants for the most part doing great. My LFS sold me APT complete. Should i start dosing liquid fertilizer? Also i have 0kh so far. What do i need to raise my KH? And should i do a water change tomorrow to drop my GH one more time to 6? Or that would disturb my cycle?

·
Registered
No longer a newbie.
184 Posts
You may want to do every other day water changes for the first 2 weeks during the inital ammonia leech. This will help you avoid algae blooms due to fresh aquasoil. As for gh, it will have no effect on your cycle. Take it to where your target is, and keep it consistent.
What are you using to remineralize? You need to remineralize BOTH Kh and Gh when using RO water. Depending on your plant selection, you will want either hard or soft water. I run my dutch style at caridina shrimp parameters, so soft acidic water. Gh is 4 and kH is barely above 0. However you need to maintain at least some amount of kH in your tank to avoid pH crashes and ultimately cycle crashes.

I use nilocg's liquid gh/kh booster bought on Amazon. I like that it comes in a ready to dispense liquid and they are separate from each other so I can adjust kh and gh independently of each other. I do ignore the pumps though, and just use standard 5ml pipettes to measure my dosing by ml to ensure the most accurate dosing.

As for the ferts, it's a matter of preference. Some people don't dose any ferts until about the month mark, when most of the inital soil leech is done. Some dose half for the first few weeks, some just dose regularly from the start. If you used mainly TC cultures and not plants grown submerged, I'd say wait a few weeks until the plants transition to submerged and the inital melt stage is over. When they are transitioning I doubt they use much nutrients from the water column, so at that point water column dosing would only be feeding algae. If you currently have a ton of already transitioned stems you may want to start dosing.

APT complete is pretty lean IMO as far as macros go, a far cry away from EI levels, so dosing from the beginning probably won't be doing a lot of harm given you have enough plant mass. However if you are fishless cycling and don't plan on doing any water changes until cycling is complete I would avoid dosing until you start a regular weekly WC routine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts