The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some new fish but arrgh, they have ick.

The new fish look too strong and fat that I cannot believe they were infected before I got them. In the QT, I suspected ick for a bit but finally escaped my inspecting eyes!

They gave birth in the QT so I decided to separate them from the frys and put them with other fish. Now the ick seems to have affect some of my other fish. The water of this system is also connected is a breeding tank where lots of zebra danios are also around. What medication is not copper based yet still effective? What medications are safe to use in tank especially when I have tons of fish frys?

The bio-filter ability is limited to pebbles with a bubbler.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Ich is easy and you don't need meds - heat the water to 85-86, while ensuring water circulation and surface movement are good, for a week. At these temps the life cycle of the parasite speeds up and then dies off. You will see the signs disappear sooner, but keep up treatment for the week. Water changes through the week and after treatment are a good idea.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ich is easy and you don't need meds - heat the water to 85-86, while ensuring water circulation and surface movement are good, for a week. At these temps the life cycle of the parasite speeds up and then dies off. You will see the signs disappear sooner, but keep up treatment for the week. Water changes through the week and after treatment are a good idea.

Looks like I have to scarify the eggs vs treatment then with water change just like the old days. I am trying to save the eggs of the Zebras and Neon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.