The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I'm missing something in my sump. I'm not sure I fully understand how the filtration works and what I *need* in there.

My sump set up was given to me, so I'm working within the system as it was originally made. It's a 25 gallon tank that is divided about 40/60 with an acrylic pane that has about a 3" gap at the bottom. On the smaller side, from top to bottom, water comes from the overflow and exits the tubing from a T shaped PVC pipe with lots of holes drilled in it. The water then flows through a blue and white filter sponge sitting on a grate covering about 2 gallons of bioballs. The water trickles through that and fills up the bottom 1/3 of the sump tank....the bioballs all sit above the water line. There is a two layer green sponge at the bottom of the acrylic pane separating the two compartments of the sump. In the larger section, I have the mag 7 pump and a heater. There is a fair amount of crud that collects on the bottom of this section. It's also where all the snails end up (grr). There also is a film on the top of the water here.

I don't have any carbon or UV sterilizers or whatever else.

So. What's in your sump?

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
My sump is basically the same. Only difference is that stuff builds up on the bioball side instead of the pump side, maybe because my split is about 70/30 instead of 40/60.

I do wish my pump side was a little larger sometimes.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I am using Poret foam too, 10 pore and 30 pore. My sump hasn't any divider, the foam stands between the 40 breeder tank walls. I put the old sponge and scrubbies between the layers. At the moment the intake side is larger than the output side but with sponge walls I can change if I please.

Water comes in and exits through a drilled 1" pipe but I do like the idea of making it a T instead, may do that. The spare filter's biological media, heater and thermometer are in that section. Then comes the foam/scrubbies. The pump section holds the CO2 reactor as well as the pump and the pump is covered with a sponge as well.

That crud is probably really great stuff, ugly though it is. Am looking forward to siphoning most of it into the garden now I can SEE it and now I have enough room to maneuver in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.