The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This popped up a two days ago. I'm on day 8 of a whole new 5 gal. setup:

Is this too much light? I know anubias like low light but I'm seeing if I can make these work. The rhizome is exposed as well, only roots in the aquasoil. I'm running a 10 hour photoperiod with two finnex fugerays, pressurized co2 @ 2bps on timer, and pps pro that I started on day 3. I've done daily water changes and today I will be going to every other day for week 2.

Pic of tank after planting. I have since installed an inline atomizer:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Could be Fluorine Toxicity. You say you've been changing the water daily? Are you on a well, or do you have Municipal Water? Looks very much like Fluorine Toxicity to me.

You could use RO water or a filter that works on Fluoride for a few weeks and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply.

I'm Dallas, TX - research shows me from our .gov site that Dallas water has an average hardness of 131 ppm with a 108-179 range putting us in the moderately hard to hard water category.

Fluoride average is at .67 ppm

Granted, this information is quite dated, I still think it is worth consideration.

I use tap water and usually prep my water change water with prime and give it 24 hours before the change, and add .5ml of stability to help establish my filter.

My tank has very little algae and growth has been strong. Even these infected leaves are pearling towards the end of the day.

I spot treated with excel last night after lights out. But I've already trimmed back one leaf and I'm afraid more will have to go. Filter is an Eheim 2211 with their bio rings and substrat with a purigen bag added.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Edward.

As I mentioned, I'm running a 10 hour photoperiod and I dropped it yesterday to 8. I suspected this was an overexposure to light given the absence of algae at this point.

The fertilizer is GLA PPS Pro. I followed their guidelines and administer specified dose - in this case .5ml micro / .5ml macro each for 5 gallon tank. I dose each using a medical syringe.

How should I go about handling the affected leaves? Shall I leave them to see if they improve, or do I need to clip any with signs of damage?

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
I've personally never seen bright light do that, unless the leaves was damaged or your lacking in ferts/c02 because of the high light. Low light plants like Anubias, Java Fern can grow in low light, but like other plants if given higher light and everything else they will grow even faster. I've grown Anubias on top of driftwood right under the surface of the water and just a few inches from the light and there was never damage.

Is it possible you damaged them with the excel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only spot treated them just last night after a suggestion that it could be isolated algae or bacterial infection. I used a syringe to squirt about .5ml excel over the anubias with the filter off.

I'll remove the anubias and clip any spotted leaves. I'm going to replant them and see how they end up doing. Kind of at a loss for this. My gut instinct after discovering this was to turn down the lights.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
... The fertilizer is GLA PPS Pro. I followed their guidelines and administer specified dose - in this case .5ml micro / .5ml macro each for 5 gallon tank. I dose each using a medical syringe.
Hi
For 5 gallon aquarium, I would dose 0.5 ml solution #1 macros and 0.05 ml solution #2 micros. Since 1 ml is 20 drops then your daily dose is
10 drops solution #1 macros
1 drop solution #2 micros

I think you will find dosing easier with drop bottles. You may already have some after using up a test kit or similar.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Thanks Edward.

Would you mind explaining why I should reduce the micros so substantially and how my current dosage could be contributing to this problem?
The dosage has nothing to do with the present problem. Here is more info about the micros dosage changes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.