The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, long time lurker,

Over a week ago I was hitting this moss somewhat hard with hydrogen peroxide, trying to get rid of the pesky green hair algae which was almost taking over my tank.
I noticed only now that the java moss has started turning brown. Am I going to lose it? I know many will say to scrap it and buy more, but this piece of java moss has a bit of sentimental value to me :red_mouth . I took maybe 3-4 strands of it from an aquarium store, after 2-3 months of looking for java moss. This was a long time ago as clearly it's erupted from 3-4 strands.
Is it the hydrogen peroxide which is killing it or is there another factor I'm over looking?

It's a 44 gallon tank with about 88 watts of lighting.

DSC_4649 by chaderotti, on Flickr

Disregard the skeleton plant at the bottom. My pleco's have taken a liking to it:mad:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A rule of thumb I found was 5 or so mL per gallon, in saying that, I used maybe 3x5mL syringes on it every second day 3 times.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
sounds like they were burned. was a water change performed after dosing?

I would limit peroxide dosing to 1ml/gal to be on the safe side. i also find that peroxide dipping plants for 2-3 seconds renders spectacular results as well...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, water changed was performed soon after dosing. I haven't done it in over a week as most of the hair algae from the moss has disappeared.

Will the moss bounce back eventually? Should I trim it for now?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts