The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am getting ready to set up a 125 gallon live planted freshwater aquarium and am trying to decide on the best filter for it. I am considering a eheim wet/dry filter. Is their an advantage to wet/dry over a good regular canister filter? I am going low tech with the planted, not using any CO2, only good lighting a regular fertilizing. I have quite a few low tech planted tanks that I use eheim canister filters on and have had satisfactory results. But none of them are as large as this and I am thinking that if I am going to be buying a filter for it, I would like to use the best and wonder if wet/dry would be the best way to go. Any advice would be helpful!

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
I cannot remember reading any good reviews on that filter but can remember reading bad ones. Why not use a couple of 2215s if you are set on eheims?......DC

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for both the posts! I was considering the eheim pro II. Just wasn't sure if a wet/dry would be a better choice. Just don't know anything about that type of system. I am also considering two filters. My main thing is ease of cleaning, not having to clean the filter constantly and reliability as this is not my tank but one I will be maintaining, so I won't be there everyday to monitor it. Yes it is a six foot tank.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
FWIW, I have 2 2026s on my 125, and like the setup. I personally like the redundancy, and alternate cleaning.
You said low-tech, but not how heavily planted. The advantage of a wet-dry is a place to grow all the good nitrogen cycle bacteria. In a planted tank (more plants the better), the plants use the fish waste (ammonia) to grow filtering the water. Alth9ough by the time you buy 2 2026's you might want to look into the PRO 3, as Betowess pointed out (It's on sale!).

Also, I've read some really good reviews on the Fluval FX5 if only to make you decision a bit more complected. ;)

I have no experience with the Eheim wet\dry, but have read posts about moving parts getting jammed.

·
Registered
444 Posts
If the tank is reef ready then certainly go with a wet/dry. If the tank is not reef ready then by all means pick up whichever canisters you like best.

The wet/dry would be easier and probably cheaper to maintain, would allow for more filtering capacity and would let you adjust water flow to your liking simply by purchasing the correct pump. They are built like tanks and there's no "fluff" about them.

The canisters tend to have smaller compartments in them, are usually messy to take apart and clean, and you need to be careful if you're using any restrictors or the like because the pumps may be damaged. Canisters also have numerous O-Rings, latches, baskets, primers, and little pieces that can be broken that need replacing.

Personally I am using a canister, however if I were to ever get a tank over 100 gallon, I would seriously consider a wet/dry, even if I were injecting CO2 (there are ways to plumb them to cut down on gas exchange).

·
Banned
5,279 Posts
I have a 150 with a Fluval FX5 and a ProII 2026 (had it laying around) the FX5 is a very solid filter!

I just bought another 150 and I am either putting an Eheim ProIII2080 or the old Classic 2260 which I can get dirt cheap.

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Maybe I missed the point of the question but I thought this thread was for advice on the eheim wet/dry CANNISTER not a wet/dry SUMP. This site contains bundles of info on using sumps in a planted tank if the search function is used. borealisfascination if you are looking for info on a sump, type sump into search and you will get 20 pages of posts.......DC

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
The Eheim wet/dry 's output "pulses" like a wave maker. It might cause your plants to move around in the current. You may desire this or may not. Just thought I'd let you know.

Tommy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.