The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I want to breed some fish in an ADA 60P.

It's just full of java fern. Species-only is okay. I've considered Neolamprologus multifasciatus, cherry shrimp, etc.

I'm open to options. It would be nice if they bred prolifically. I've never bred fish before though fish spawn in the main tank all the time.

It's a low-tech planted tank.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Well, guppies and endlers breed like mad, even if you don't want them to. That said, I don't recommend that unless you are breeding a very high-value variety because you're going to have trouble off-loading the fry if they are common ones.

Cories are a pretty easy egg-laying species, and you could fit a nice breeding group of dwarf cories like pygmaus or hasbrosus in a tank that size, or a slightly smaller number of small regular cories like pandas. Cories also aren't prone to preying on their own fry, so you can leave the parents in if you don't want a separate rearing tank. I fed mine similarly to the baby cichlids below, except I just put the food on the bottom of the tank and had a snail in there to help clean up leftovers.

A pair of dwarf cichlids like apistos, rams or kribs could breed in that size tank. They care for the young, making your life easier and increasing survival of the brood, but you'll need to remove either parents or offspring once the fry are large enough to care for themselves. I fed my baby cichlids by putting a few large miramo balls in the vicinity of the nest, and once fry were free-swimming I used an eye dropper to put pre-soaked hikari "first bites" on the top of the miramo in a very thin layer. I'm still not entirely sure if the fry actually ate the first bites or if it just fed an infusoria culture on the miramo surface, but it worked pretty well regardless. Once they got a little bigger, I started adding a little frozen BBS to the mix until they were entirely on frozen BBS.

You could maintain a small breeding colony of sparkling gouramis, but it would need to be pretty heavily planted. I haven't bred those successfully myself (tried, but had to downsize the tank before I could get any babies).

If you set up a spawning grate or something, you could try breeding egg-scatterers like tetras, danios or rasboras. The parents can't stay in the tank though, as they will eat any fry (and any eggs they can get too). Fry need pretty specific foods though, like infusoria.

Of course, you could also breed a whole lot of neocardenia shrimp in there instead.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Have you considered taking eggs from the main tank and rearing them in the 60P? Or are you wanting a single fish species that you can raise in the ADA?

I guess the easiest fish to breed would be livebearers. Guppies and mollies are pretty prolific if you can get them to survive long enough to reproduce in your tank water. For a truly fascinating species, I'd look into least killifish, goodeids, or even something like an Alfaro species. These will breed prolifically, and in large enough numbers that you will almost always have a next generation.

After livebearers, some sort of fish with a parental instinct would be better, so a dwarf cichlid like Apistogramma would work. Laetacara might also work, as would Kribensis probably. They won't breed as prolifically, but the parents raise the young until they can fend for themselves, which is pretty neat. Removing juveniles will be necessary. Unless you're raising convicts (not advised).

After that, I'd say egg laying species would be next, followed by egg scattering species.

·
Registered
584 Posts
My original 8 white clouds turned into 40 with no special intervention on my part. The fry can eat finely crushed flake food right from the jump and the adults didn't eat them. The fry fountain turned off as soon as I added fish species to the tank, but snails and amano shrimp didn't seem to affect them.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
A pair of ram cichlids would spawn regularly. I get a clutch of eggs every week. My ember tetras spawn pretty regularly also although I haven't had fry make it to adulthood since I started keeping rams with them. Which is fine. I went from 12 to 16 tetras pretty fast and don't really want more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.