The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone i was wondering what people here use for UV sterilizers? i seem to have some disease thing in one of my tanks and i can't get rid of it. i'm thinking of trying to use a sterilizer so that none of the other fish in the tank get it. i was thinking about a hang on so if i have to, i can move it to another tank if need be. thanks.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Petsmart makes a cheap uv sterilizer called the "green killer?" Or green machine. Something to that effect.

You can find it in their stores sometimes. If you're fighting parasites, I believe you'll need the 23w version. 9w version for dealing with green water or some types of algae.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750628

Here's a link. You can use retailmenot coupons if buying online, or if buying in store, petco is currently having 10 dollars off 50 dollar purchases, so you could pick up the 23 watt one (self contained submersible) for 49.99 with tax. A complete and total steal compared to everything else online.

Here is the petco coupons (petsmart will match competitor coupons)
http://www.petco.com/Content/ContentNoRight.aspx?PC=couponemaillasf

If ordering online, petsmart online coupons.
http://www.retailmenot.com/view/petsmart.com

The only disadvantage of the petsmart uv devices is their size and bulk. But if you're only temporarily using it to fight an illness, it won't be in the tank more then a week or so! And if you fiddle around with the modularness of the green killing machine, you can get it tucked away rather nicely and hidden behind some things.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What disease are you talking about? Uv sterlizers will only kill water borne organisms.

I have the one that you put in the tank. Works pretty well.
i'm not sure what is in the tank, fish are lethargic and some w/o appetites. i can't see any visible marks on their bodies so i think it could be some internal problem.

Petsmart makes a cheap uv sterilizer called the "green killer?" Or green machine. Something to that effect.

You can find it in their stores sometimes. If you're fighting parasites, I believe you'll need the 23w version. 9w version for dealing with green water or some types of algae.

thanks for the clarification, i've read a lot of posts that the green machine is really only good for green water.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750628

·
Registered
286 Posts
The standard green machine is 9w's. It seems to be generally recommended that you need at least 15w of uv light to effect most parasites. The upgraded green machine is a 23w, which exceeds that recommendation. On other forums it's been used to successfully treat ich and a number of other common parasites.

And it's petsmart, you could probably return it for store credit if it doesn't work for you. They have a pretty insane return policy. Similar to old school costco's.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Get the highest intensity that you can afford. UV effectiveness is determined by exposure time and intensity. For UV to help, you need enough throughput to turnover the tank frequently AND enough exposure time within the tube to kill EVERYTHING.

Look at the Gamma fixtures. They use T5 bulbs which gives more power per watt. They can be configured for HOB that is great to "pop on" "pop off" for occasional polishing. There is a flow chart that indicates min and max throughput for each size bulb. You want to be in the high-side of the range for protozoa for most effectiveness.

Combining UV and medication can be a great way to fight tenacious infections. But FSM is right in that you should try to narrow down the cause in order to get the best remedy in place.

UV can be great for killing waterborn parasites and will wipe out waterborn algae as well.

There's no silver bullet though.

Want a recommendation - Gamma 24w UV, with a mini-jet pump makes a single-piece unit to HOB. Have larger than 90g tank, get as close to 400gph with a 1/2 inch outflow connection as possible.

Good luck,
AB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.