The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm setting up a low tech tank and I wanted to get the some recommendations on light fixtures for my tank. It's 48 long, 24 tall and 18 deep. I was thinking of going with the finnex planted + 24/7. I wanted to do low to medium plants. I will be using liquid CO2 and ferts. Any suggestions or experiences with a specific model would be greatly appreciated. Staying below or around $200 would be ideal.

Thank you!

Alex

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
I use the Finnex 24/7 48" long on my 75 gallon tank. Like you I have a low tech tank that I dose with Excel as the only carbon source. I bought the light on Amazon for about $150. So far I like it a lot but there is room for improvement, but for the price I really can't complain.

On 24/7 mode I would say I'm getting medium light. In fact, a bit more than I want as I'm getting good plant growth but getting a bit of a hair algae problem. There's no way to lower the light output on 24/7 mode, it is what it is. You can certainly create a custom light intensity but then you would need a timer (or manually turn it on and off) and of course you then lose the gradual ramping up and down.

I'm currently exploring ways of lowering the light intensity while keeping it in 24/7 mode. Perhaps some sort of semi opaque film on the glass top to block some of the light. Whatever I do, the one that determines all things aesthetic in my house needs to approve :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I like the Finnex Ray2s. The light output if near the surface will be high. I find to get the proper balance with the Ray2s is to have sufficient CO2 and a heavy plant load. Otherwise, you may have an algae issue.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.