The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have asked this on many forum sites before this one with no luck so hopefully the pros on plantedtank can answer me this.

I bought my first shrimp about 2 months ago and i noticed that it had green eggs inside it. This got me buzzin thinking i would have hundreds of baby shrimp to look after soon. Then my shrimp farted the eggs out and they got eaten by the rest of my fish. A couple of weeks later i see my shrimp has more eggs! How can that have been if its the only shrimp in the tank?

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
I have asked this on many forum sites before this one with no luck so hopefully the pros on plantedtank can answer me this.

I bought my first shrimp about 2 months ago and i noticed that it had green eggs inside it. This got me buzzin thinking i would have hundreds of baby shrimp to look after soon. Then my shrimp farted the eggs out and they got eaten by the rest of my fish. A couple of weeks later i see my shrimp has more eggs! How can that have been if its the only shrimp in the tank?
If this is regarding red cherry shrimp the females won't actually become berried unless the eggs are fertilized. You might have a male in there without knowing it.

As for the reason why the females drop eggs, there could be many. If the shrimp is getting stressed by your fish they will continue dropping eggs. If there aren't many hiding places for the babies they will also drop eggs. If they are not comfortable in the tank (been in there for a short while which 2 months could be), they also drop eggs.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I agree. if it wasnt for everyone in here I wouldnt have 5 tanks and wouldnt be broke! :)
LOL. Something like that. I started with a little tank with some neons...then dwarf frogs...then plants...then a few cherry shrimp....then a few crystal shrimp....Now I have cherry, yellow, tiger, snowball, crystal R/B, blue bee. lol. All the plants are gone, neons given away, dwarf frogs in their own tank and its shrimp, shrimp, shrimp. lol. Its not even that I think I'm going to get rich and be a major shrimp dealer, I just looking at them and see babies and the different colors and patterns they can have.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

A lot of times, for certain kinds of shrimp, the female can hold male's sperm in her belly until she feels safe to fertilize the eggs. That explains why she can get pregnant when there is no male in the current tank.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Yup. That's why I have Amano shrimp in a tank with a fish that only eats live foods. The larvae will not make it anyway and the fish get what it needs. Perfect arrangement.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quick replys al read up on this site a lot more in time to come cheers. But i love my first shrimp she was a right buy got the mountain shrimp for £3.99 adult size. Its in a 60l community tank with about 30 other fish. Even tho its the only shrimp in the tank it doesnt care. He will even get into the battles over the munch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.