The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've got amazon sword, argentine sword, anubias, wisteria, and pennywort.
I don't do CO2 or ferts. My substrate is gravel, and my lighting is about 2 watts per gallon, and it's fine for the plants I do grow. I find that the wisteria is pretty sensitive to the light levels. One of my two lights burnt out and it was about 2 weeks before I got a new one. During this time my wisteria started growing leaves of a different shape and the old leaves were falling off.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
The only plant I ever had that did well in pea gravel long term was jungle vallisneria. It's a good plant that does well in hard water (it can use carbonates from the water for carbon).

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The only plant I ever had that did well in pea gravel long term was jungle vallisneria. It's a good plant that does well in hard water (it can use carbonates from the water for carbon).
My gravel is not pea sized all the way down. Only a layer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My gravel is not pea sized all the way down. Only a layer.
Then you have more than just gravel as your substrate...this is an important fact people should know before giving you advice. "What is the substrate below the gravel?" will be their next question if they want to continue to help.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I have a 48" quad t5 ho. That should be somewhere around 4 wat per gallon. My co2 color stays yellow when the lights are on.
Get your CO2 to green where it should be and as long as you run a balanced fert regimen you should be able to grow just about any plant you want.

You shouldn't need even half that much light to accomplish the above.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Get your CO2 to green where it should be and as long as you run a balanced fert regimen you should be able to grow just about any plant you want.

You shouldn't need even half that much light to accomplish the above.

I've heard that high concentration of co2 is better for controlling algae outbreaks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.