The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, a little background. I've been a hobbiest for a long time however I am fairly new to planted tanks. (I spent all my money and energy in various cichlids and pleco's)

I know the basics, but still need your help a little. Here's the deal. My limiting factor is space. I rent a small room from a good friend of mine. With the proper shelf placement I could manage ten, 10 gallon tanks. I could go to larger tanks, but that seriously decreases the number of tanks allowed. Space being the problem, I decided that I would take my three 10 gallon tanks and turn them into planted tanks of various types. These three original tanks are going to serve as my starter tanks.

Any future tanks that I set up, will be comprised from what I propogated for one or more of these three tanks.

That being said. If you had only three, 10 gallon tanks to start your planted tank hobbie, what would you do with them?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Definitely a high tech with stems and higher light plants and a lush carpet. Maybe a school of dwarf rasboras.

Definitely a low tech with shrimp or dwarf crays (CPOs, etc) (mosses, anubias nana petite, windelov, needle-leaf java)

Third tank, Id focus on keeping/breeding a nano fish, such as clown killies, CPDs, scarlet badis, peacock gudgeons, or something else interesting that appreciates plant cover.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about filtration? On tanks this small I always get too much current from HOB's or other power filters.

I was thinking a Hydor mini sponge dialed way down.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'd run the thing at 600-1000 gph using power heads and a canister filter my self. High current with a good filter means less biological waste breaking down in the column and between the plants. Don't be afraid of good flow.

-Philosophos

*edit* ever misplace a post? I think I typed this for the wrong browsing tab, and I can't find the thread that this is supposed to go to. I'll offer a serious reply below.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Maybe a very heavily planted dwarf puffer tank?

I have a fluval 205 on my ADA Mini M and the filter is rated up to 40 gallons and i can control the flow very well. I have had a very good experience with fluval canister filters.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A canister on a 10 gallon?
That would make it like a river in there.
Dwarf puffers would have a stroke in htat flow rate.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Besides, can't you maintaine good Co2 concentrations with a dialed down sponge filter?
I will be using that Hagen, DIY ladder system thingy.
I've used it before on small plated tanks and think it works pretty well.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
A canister on a 10 gallon?
That would make it like a river in there.
Dwarf puffers would have a stroke in htat flow rate.
I would use an Eheim 2213 on a 10 gallon for sure.

A sponge filter won't provide enough flow in a heavily planted 10 gallon tank. Keep in mind that all those leaves severely restrict water flow in the tank, so you actually need to overfilter just to get water moving. Plus, you want your CO2 evenly distributed if you're going pressurized.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would use an Eheim 2213 on a 10 gallon for sure.

A sponge filter won't provide enough flow in a heavily planted 10 gallon tank. Keep in mind that all those leaves severely restrict water flow in the tank, so you actually need to overfilter just to get water moving. Plus, you want your CO2 evenly distributed if you're going pressurized.
OK. Here is where I get a little fuzzy on all this.
In the past, I would OVER filter the piss out of a tank because I had cichlids and a VERY high bio load.

But, with a planted tank and a low fish (bio) load, minimal filtration shopuld be just fine provided I keep up on water changes (I do twice a week)
The plants themselves will serve as a source for benefitial bacteria to colonize.

that being said. Do I really nned a lot of flow and a powerfull filter?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sorry about the misappropriated post above; I was working a few tabs at the same time.

I'd personally run things a little differently than just propagating to other tanks from what you have. You can end up ahead if you trade well, and know your local market. They'll buy things from you that won't sell here, and they're good to fall back on during the winter months when shipping sucks and their stocks are low. Find something tough that looks good but isn't around; when everyone buys pets around the holidays, you'll have that plant/shrimp/fish that people are buying. Even if you don't have enough of it this year, the LFS will remember you. Follow it up with something similar but improved if you can (ex. RCS -> blueberry/yellow)

Right off the start, I'd float some HC to grow on top of the 3 tanks, and spawn 2 grades of cheaper shrimp (something that will sell locally and online if you can) and one more expensive shrimp (CRS probably) along with some moss rocks below the HC. For the moss, avoid anything bank breaking; just get what grows fast and sells well, something you won't cry if the HC overpopulates. Weeping moss will look better than java, and it grows on the faster side.

From there, take the HC and use your empty tanks to root the HC to rock wool; sell it where ever you can. Keep some loose and floating for people using dry start or terrariums.

Anything you have, look to trade up from someone complaining from excess rather than selling too low. Work in to high tech when you find a market for it, but never forget that you're in it to provide a product in demand, not what looks good to you.

I could go on for a while; I'm fighting the same battle as you on a lesser scale. I want my own company, and I'm working from the ground up to figure all of this out

-Philosophos

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry about the misappropriated post above; I was working a few tabs at the same time.

I'd personally run things a little differently than just propagating to other tanks from what you have. You can end up ahead if you trade well, and know your local market. They'll buy things from you that won't sell here, and they're good to fall back on during the winter months when shipping sucks and their stocks are low. Find something tough that looks good but isn't around; when everyone buys pets around the holidays, you'll have that plant/shrimp/fish that people are buying. Even if you don't have enough of it this year, the LFS will remember you. Follow it up with something similar but improved if you can (ex. RCS -> blueberry/yellow)

Right off the start, I'd float some HC to grow on top of the 3 tanks, and spawn 2 grades of cheaper shrimp (something that will sell locally and online if you can) and one more expensive shrimp (CRS probably) along with some moss rocks below the HC. For the moss, avoid anything bank breaking; just get what grows fast and sells well, something you won't cry if the HC overpopulates. Weeping moss will look better than java, and it grows on the faster side.

From there, take the HC and use your empty tanks to root the HC to rock wool; sell it where ever you can. Keep some loose and floating for people using dry start or terrariums.

Anything you have, look to trade up from someone complaining from excess rather than selling too low. Work in to high tech when you find a market for it, but never forget that you're in it to provide a product in demand, not what looks good to you.

I could go on for a while; I'm fighting the same battle as you on a lesser scale. I want my own company, and I'm working from the ground up to figure all of this out

-Philosophos
Wow. while all that sound good. I'm not looking to go into business or anyhting like that, just wanted to start a couple of tanks that I could use to start additional tanks when space allows.

Also. All your abreviations are a little greek to me. I'm just starting in the planted tank erea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts