The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am puzzled on what to do with my 55 gallon. I can either do any one of these:

Turn it into a HighTech planted tank ( will take awhile)
Turn it into a LowTech Planted tank ( cheapest way)
Turn it into a cichlid tank ( new species :) )
Turn it into a low tech discus tank ( I always wanted these)
Make it a fish only tank ( i have one already and i don't like it )

What would you do with a 55 gallon ? :confused:

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Not a planted tank. You would regret it. Trust me on this :icon_roll . I think the cichlids would be a good option. Although not deep enough (front to back) for a good planted 'scape, I think there's enough room there to get the rocks in that the cichlids like.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup James i would stick with lowtech also. Lol wasserpest daphina.. I want to try cichlids :) but let me see what else people can think of

·
Registered
80 Posts
i say a low tech dicus tank. I love discus and i just got my first 2 today (33.33 for 2 i think they rang it up wrong)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
theres always potted plants! :D Ok so if i was to go with cichlids what should i pick ? i'm going to browse their profiles now ;) I'm really torn between discus and cichlids lol

·
Registered
898 Posts
Low tech.:tongue: Stack rocks like you would for a cichlid tank. Then place some driftwood on top of the rocks. Add a lot of Anubias, Bolbitis, Java Fern, and moss.
This worked for me.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ooo cool sounds pretty simple. Have any pics aquamoon ? And when you stack rocks can't they fall ? i was thinking of making a background using styrofoam sheets and great stuff

·
Registered
888 Posts
And when you stack rocks can't they fall ? i was thinking of making a background using styrofoam sheets and great stuff
You can actually use silicon sealant to make the rocks hold together. I have an article by Sera saying that in a Tanganyikan setup, they put styrofoam at the back, sides and the bottom to prevent the rocks from crashing directly to the glass which could become a disaster.
Nice plan though.:)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info BlueBell :) anyone have any suggestion on what cichlids are suitable for begginers ?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Another vote for not doing a heavily planted tank. There is not enough depth to do a front to back aquascape. There is however enough room to do an open water side with 1/2 or 1/3 of it planted on one side... an idea I've been entertaining.... Still though, don't try heavily planted unless you have somthing with 18" of deapth. Hence the reason I got a 24" cube tank, 24" every way you look at it :D

·
Registered
888 Posts
Lake Malawi aren't too hard.
I agree. Yellow Labs are mild and pretty too.:angel: I would avoid Melanochromis auratus though. Far too destructive even if they are small.:)

No problem, fish lover.:) Glad to be of assistance.:angel:

·
Registered
644 Posts
I personally like convicts. There are tons of gorgeous apistos if you want a few more, smaller fish.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yup i'm trying to stick with small species . i seen convicts before they are nice. I still want your suggestions but i need to visit my lps (local pet store) to see what they have since i don't want to order any fish online.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts