The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had an empty 55G sitting in your home, with 2 aquaclear 300 HOB filters, and a small sponge filter(DIY). Lighting could be as much as 2 full length fluorescent shoplights.

Please make 2 separate answers, larger fish, and smaller fish.
As well as suggested plants for the listed fish.

Be creative, make suggestions about driftwood, substrate.

Don't be ridiculous with pricing options, or stocking limits but have fun with the mental image!

Thanks all for anything that comes of this.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Surprise

I'm actually surprised that not one person has made even a single post here, nothing.

No one has anything pictured in their heads to share?
A dream tank if you could make one out of the listed prerequisites?

Was kind of hoping for some suggestions, ideas, starting points.

·
Registered
210 Posts
hello, sorry missed this one - mental image of a scape per-say completely depends on your budget to be honest. Give a ball-park figure, i'll try my level best to advice.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Planted tank (of course), dirt/sand or gravel cap substrate, Jungle vals in the back with a large driftwood spanning the entire length of the tank like a fallen branch. Some crypts up front, moss and/or Java fern tied to the driftwood.

5-6 Angelfish with a school of cardinals, black neon or glow light tetras and some corys.

I'd start with that.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Planted tank (of course), dirt/sand or gravel cap substrate, Jungle vals in the back with a large driftwood spanning the entire length of the tank like a fallen branch. Some crypts up front, moss and/or Java fern tied to the driftwood.

5-6 Angelfish with a school of cardinals, black neon or glow light tetras and some corys.

I'd start with that.

Seems like every other nice tank! +1 I'd think you'd be happy with this. or you could try a mixed community tank with loaches and other schoolers.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Fishes would depend on what my source water was like(ie hard,soft water)
My own thought's... maybe spotted climbing perch (1) blue acara (1) Firemouth (1) and honduran red point(1)
Lot's of anubia on driftwood,smooth river stones,sand substrate,floating pennywort or watersprite.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Responses

I'm glad to see activity here.

As for the post about monetary concerns, let's say I've got 120$ for it.

I like the idea of smaller schooling fish, more so than the larger ones.

The idea I've been kicking around is something like 2 branches of driftwood leaning towards the center from opposing corners with some rocks strewn in amongst black gravel/sand. I really like Cory cats, and Guppies thinking I may have something good going, but I'd love to hear more ideas.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hmmm, fun. :)

I'd do a blackwater tank with Diamond or Brass Tetras, lots of branchy wood that looks like it's fallen into the water, some anubias attached some of the branches, some small anubias on the bottom onto some branches lying on the bottom and lots of leaves on the bottom.

I've got no big fish recommendations as I'm not a big fish type of person. Maybe put a moonlight or pearl gourami into above tank?

Something like this only with lots of leaf litter and the anubias:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gGZeIZ4bwg

Oooo, or this one!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWXXCHCzNoY

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the recommendations Guys and Gals, I love seeing the mental images conjured by getting people to describe a scape.

It may not be exactly what you were saying, but it does affect the mental image of the possibilities.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If I had the room for that tank, I would like to do smaller fish.
A background of root-like driftwood reaching down, and some smaller pieces scattered across the floor of the tank. Floating plants of some kind, (maybe red root floaters, or water wisteria-easier to find - because fish and shrimp like the roots). Low light plants like java fern, anubias and cryptocorne. Tall crypt spiralis at the back. Java fern, and medium sized anubias in the middle with some moss in the front as a partial carpet or over some rocks.
Fauna: shrimp (that's why the moss), a couple bigger schools of small fish: 1 school of 8-10 bottom dwellers (cory pygmaeus, habrosus, etc.) 1 school of 10-15 midtank schoolers(number depending on size). Later a small school (6) of otos. Possibly a pair of GBR or a small school of threadfin rainbows.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.