The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
I would say that you would need to be out of your mind to open a tropical fish store in this day and age.

In thinking about the locally owned non-chain stores that are within about 1/2 an hour of me, there are only two left out of at least 10 that I can think of. Both of those are old time stores and also have general pet products.

Going out to places that I can get to in a couple of hours, there are some excellent places, but I got to make a special trip, and these places tend to be large again been there for years.

The simple fact of the matter is that it's almost impossible to compete with the large chains and the internet.

Now if you still want to try, I'd first say that your going to need to open a general pet store and carry all the other small pets, and dog and cat products. Very few small places can make it on fish alone.

As you can see, this is going to require a lot of capital, most of which is going to have to be supplied by you. Most banks are not too interested in lending money to a startup.

For fish you are going to need a lot of tanks and so on. Just look how a small place could easily have 30 plus tanks.

As for stock, you got to carry what will sell, so there is no point to having "not so common rare stocks" unless it's going to sell.
I agree with this 100%. Being a business owner myself I know how much it takes to get a business going and make it successful in the long run. If it were the 80's I would say go for it but in this day and age I don't see a fish/pet store making it with the big box stores and the Internet as your competition. I have seen more than a few try to open up a fish/pet store in my community and the only one that is still open is not what I would consider a successful business. I know the owner personally and while he has had this store for the past 20+ years I know how much of a struggle he has to keep the doors open. I wish it wasn't this way but that's just a sign of the times. I remember when I was young going to LFS in many different cities with my dad and they were everywhere and very successful. And slowly I have watched them disappear. Even in larger markets they have a hard time making it work. I thought really hard about what it would take to make a business like this work and I just didn't see it as possible. It's really hard to compete with chain stores that have the buying power when they have multiple stores to supply and are buying such huge quantities therefore can sell at a lower price than any LFS could. Not only that but then you have the online retailers to compete with. Take Walmart for example, look how many small grocery stores that they have taken out of the equation by simply by offering prices that is impossible for the smaller mom and pop store to compete with.

Easiest way would be; become mayor of your city and have the citizens tax money go to opening the store.

Then everybody would feel obligated to go so as to make use of their money.

IMO, it's best to have your own fish room (maybe a garage, room, or backyard extension) where you have multiple tanks set up to your own liking and have an online storefront either here in the for sale/trade or setting up your own website. This way you're operating at your own pace and you don't necessarily need to rent a store and worry about local customers and all that. To expand to a more local business you could start a Facebook group for buying/selling fish stuff and advertise on your local craigslist. When hobbyists go on to cl to hunt for stuff they'll see your add and join. Eventually you'll have a large local hobbyists base where you can advertise your goods/livestock and they can just come pick up. Idk the legalities of doing business like this from your home because one could argue it's just your hobby scaled up a bit.
here's an example of a fish group on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/253651461440317/)

Actually, if you have 200k, you can get yourself into a petsmart franchise. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
As far as I know Petsmart isn't a franchise but a corporation. Petco is the same way. They are company owned and operated. Petland is a store that offers franchise opportunities but I have seen a couple of those close once the Petco's and Petsmart's come into town.

$$$$$$$ depending on location and cost IDE say prolly about 50k to start, this includes tanks filters lighting co2 tanks for plants electricity first and last month rent business license reseller licens import license if need be. Also includes live stock and dry goods as well as hard goods. Plus water. I've already planned it out for when I decide to save the money to start a Lfs. I live in the Bay Area, Cali. While there are a lot of fish stores here there aren't many who are knowledgable, have good quality stock. Or even know what there talking about for that matter. Plus you'll need a website and to pay some websites and maybe the penny saver or something for advertisement.

As far as I know Petsmart isn't a franchise but a corporation. Petco is the same way. They are company owned and operated. Petland is a store that offers franchise opportunities but I have seen a couple of those close once the Petco's and Petsmart's come into town.
You might be right. I thought they franchise but I guess not.

Lol I have a real job. I work for wildlife and fisheries. This would be more of a transition to something that is a hobby to something that is a job. This isn't something I would rush into. Just an idea I've been mulling over and a few friends have brought up on occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wasn't treading on your dreams but I had a friend who owned a store and it's a tough business, half your day will be spent killing odors.

I am however starting to think that there's money in these plants.

Pick a few varieties of over-priced fish and so-called rare plants and work the net to complete your sales because that's where the future is, brick and mortar is tough in an internet world.

You should be able to start something along these lines without a fortune in investment.

Lots of Luck ;-)

I am a businessman and I could wear out my keyboard listing the problems and difficulties involved but this should suffice

Do yourself a favor and get a real job

If your desire is insatiable, breed a few fish in your garage and sell them to local hobbyists

That should cure you
This.

I would say the number one requirement would be to recognize that a business is totally different than a hobby. Once it becomes a business it can often turn out to be a totally different animal.
Second is to know that far more new businesses fail than succeed. Many people do start several operations before finding one which works for them.
And this.

I have managed a successful LFS and I worked as a rep for one of the largest wholesalers in the country and have helped walk new LFS owners through their first orders, setup, cycling, and everything in between. As a lifelong hobbyist, I've poked my head in hundreds of fish stores. I have also had the pleasure of meeting and working with hobbyists-turned-businesspeople who have made great money by providing specialty items to dedicated hobbyists and top-tier LFSs.

I wouldn't open a LFS on a dare and with someone else's money. The LFS is going the way of the buffalo for good reasons and bad reasons. The bad reasons are pretty easy to identify- chain stores and online hard goods pretty much guarantee that you're not going to sell too many tanks and supplies when anyone with basic internet acumen can find more goods at lower prices than you can dream of stocking. Look at it like this- I was buying Excel from my LFS at $10+/pint until I realized I could order a gallon of Metricide for the same money. Sponge filters for quarantine tanks were abundant and cheap online. Plant lighting is so specific and expensive that I can only afford to shop online. I bought my tank and stand from a chain store on sale. The LFS 1- couldn't keep up with the equipment and 2- couldn't afford to sell it to me at a price that I was comfortable with.

However, there's a good side, too, especially for someone who is passionate about what they're doing.

Hobbyists who care about their livestock are reaching out to order online more than ever before. Rare, hard to find, or above average livestock is more available to the hobbyist than ever before because good breeders and importers can afford to run a small business without the massive overhead of a brick and mortar store. Sadly, the new hobbyist tends to be turned off by the sterile look of bare bottoms, sponge filters, and PVC piping. They want every tank to look like the aquarium that they have at home. This is a nightmare for the retailer. However, all of that changes when your primary customers are dedicated and knowledgeable hobbyists, and dedicated and knowledgeable hobbyists are online.

When I worked for the distributor, we bought from some garage hobbyists who would provide unbelievable livestock. Our local water was ideal for African Cichlids. There was a high-school age kid who would bring in the best looking Lemon Labidochromis and Ahlis that you've ever seen, and he'd bring several hundred at a time. Those were his money makers. He also bred Frontosas that would blow your mind and a handful of additional Tanganyikan cichlids that were rare, in high demand, and expensive (wholesale of $10-$20/fish; retail ran $50-$100+). He did all of this out of a garage in bare bottom tanks with sponge filters and giant rubbermaid horse troughs. This would have been in 2002-2004 era, where ordering fish from some guy off of the internet was virtually unheard of. I would image the same kid wouldn't even bother with distributors and sell direct to retail in 2014.

If I were to try and make my hobby a business (again), I'd take that route. Breed exceptional middle-of-the-road stuff to keep money flowing in and branch into specialty items as needed.

Finally, if you're dead-set on going into the retail/public end of the business, start off by leasing tanks and providing full-service for those tanks. If that's successful, open a storefront that provides service, limited livestock for the public, and expand from there. This will probably only work in a major metro area.

Well I had to tell you I have a friend who is doing this right now he has a small shop and he sales on line .And lets say you are going all in on this. You need to fine the right fish to deal with angel fish are a good ones, show fish are good and some pond fish ,next fine you some breeder to deal with and get to know all the clubs a round you. now Location: Gulf Coast that be a downer as you need to be close to a international air port this will help cause you can get fish from over sea at a great deal . Tank you will need about 30 for costumer's and about 5 holding tanks . If you look a round and take your time you can fine nice deal on all of this .I would start small to get your feet wet then see how it goes . I 'v been looking in to it for some time now and the more info you can get on were to get your fish and tanks and I do think you will need to do more than just fish .

Not to be a downer but, there isn't much money in freshwater. Even growing plants for the freshwater side is low income at best.

Corals is where it's at. You can make money with corals with a couple dedicated frag tanks out of your garage. I have a good friend that does this exact thing. He still has a day job but he net profits somewhere around 75k just off growing the really high end coral. The down side is cost of entry and heaven forbid you have a tank crash with 50k worth of coral in it. You need to be almost OCD over water parameters to make this work. If you get lazy you will regret it.

It takes money to make money but I wouldn't open a brick and mortar store if someone paid me to. Overhead is just too high and often times they way to grow corals or breed fish or grow plants isn't very attractive. My rack to grow plants looks like poop but it can grow some plants.

How many people know of a LFS store that doesn't sell marine and corals?

Realistically you have to measure you demand in the area. Think why there isnt even a chain store withing 20+ miles of your spot? I guarantee you they've done the same. Many fish stores float on the puppy/kitty thing, which is cool if you can do both.

Echoing what other(s) have said. Run it out of the garage. No need for overhead that you already may have space for! Also do it as a secondary job. That would be an advantage of home-based business that a store front does not give you.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
So like I said not a real plan, just curious. People seem to make a good bit off fish and inverts I have raised myself.
Saltwater is a whole different being. If I was to start a store it would be freshwater hard to kill fish because people in my area are stupid. But, if I could walk them through the first nitrogen cycle and assure them it's fact (I'm a biologist) then I would have repeat customers because they obviously can't operate the internet effectively, and then I could walk them through tank stocking.
I wish everyone had a fishtank. I would even be able to recommend outdoor ponds and setups for aquaculture.
Anyways, I'm rambling, but I appreciate the words/advice. Probly won't happen. But I feel like if I don't someone less experienced will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I talked to a LFS owner in a nearby city today....

I needed some supplies and a few fish and stopped by a LFS that has been in business for 30 years.

He said that he only sees 1 or 2 customers per day during the Summer!!!!

I spent roughly 30 dollars so he might have been able to buy ramen noodles with his profits. This isn't the first time that he has eluded to business being tough. He said that with the internet and the big box pet stores he can't compete and that he is just biding his time until retirement. He said that the preceding 25 years have been good but the last 5 years have been terrible.

He is a reputable store owner and always has immaculate tanks.

I would say go a hybrid route.

Keep a small store front with really stunning tanks. All planted and scaped and stuff. Seeing beautiful tanks will create desire and inspire others to do the same. Stock them with samples of your most stunning fish. Have them in a variety of sizes so a poorish person (aka me) doesn't walk in, see your 4 zillion gal show tank and think 'i could never afford that'. Have some nano tanks that show that you can have it in a small scale too. I was in a shop the other day and they had a teeny reef in a 10" cube! That inspired me! And have a couple god-awful, brightly colored spongebob or disney decorated with day-glo colored gravel at kiddy height so they can guilt-trip their parents into it. (And so they will get snotty finger marks all over those instead of your other tanks)

Behind your stunning show tank front, go all tardis. Have a tanks of fish for selling as well as accessories and hardscapes. Keep it immaculately clean, but make it low key and obvious that this area is your 'warehouse' area. This will save you money on fancy lighting and shelving and other display stuff. Sell your stuff as close to internet prices as you can.

Get a GOOD website. By good I mean good looking and high functioning website. Good search function. Good info pages. LOTS and LOTS of pictures. Like every product box, front, back, sides, unboxed, so that someone who hasn't seen the product before knows exactly what they're getting without having to google for specs and reviews (and possibly stumbling on a better price elsewhere) offere shipping costs based on weight and fragility of an item, instead of flat rates (a 5lb rock needs way less packing than a 5lb filter or tank. If the rock gets dropped whatever, whereas if a tank gets dropped....) And try not to totally screw overseas customers by shipping with ups and their awful border crossing fees.

As for stocking fish, don't just rely on a shipping company, look to local hobbyists. Explain what you're doing, see if any of them breed as a hobby, and see if you can set up a local supply. Like with endlers or something. I live in the uk, and i know people here have Nclass endlers, but have i ever seen any in a shop? nope. They breed like rabbits! By doing this, you make locals aware of you, and you won't have to worry about imoort costs, fish stressed from long distance travel etc.

Once a month or something offer drop-in evenings or something for fish talk. Use it to teach noobs about fishless cycling and help them through it (keep pure ammonia in stock sothey dont have to go looking for it). Or talk about newly discovered fish (people like rare things). Offer aquascaping sessions(possibility for on-the spot sales)Or, since you're a Bio person, talk about something related to that like fish breeding or guppy genetics. Host fish club meetings. JOIN the fish clubs. Make the actual store more than a place you go to buy stuff. Always have cookies on hand.

Always make sure you have at least one person who always knows waaay too much working there, hire from the hobbyist pool in your area.

I am extrapolating these ideas from a local yarn store, from my dad's wine making business, and from what id like to see in a fish store.

-The yarn store is essentilly a warehouse online-retailer of specialty yarn, with a beautiful little show room. The show room has a table, and Tuesday mornings and wednesay evenings are knitting circle. Oh, finished your cardigan and need some buttons? I have some here! Broke your knitting needle? Here's a new one. Got a new pattern, but have the wrong size crochet hook? Got it rignt here. Suck at knitting? Ill show you how. And I think she sells socks at the shop that locals make. You look one direction, and its a yarn boutique with one of everything you could imagine so you can look and feel and a community space, Look the other way and its a brightly lit warehouse with bulk bags of yarn and crates of needlss and patterns stacked 20 feet high. And the yarn is at internet prices, without shipping costs (because you're right there, lol)

-My dad's shop was low key, but clearly gave the 'this guy is obsessed and knows what he is doing' vibe from the moment you walked in. Carbouys of wine bei g made right there. He would walk people through doing it at home, from scratch, not just that kit stiff) and he did on-site wine-making too. He joined EVERY wine making club for miles. Did loads of business with them, monetarily and in trade, fresh local honey, saxophone rental, free range eggs, riding lessons, I think he even had our deck fixed in trade haha. So even if you don't make cold hard cash frlm clubs, you may save money in other places, and you know what they say about a penny saved... And I think he may have had a club friend shop-sit when he had surgery once.

I know yarn and wine aren't fish, but there's no reason the same concepts can't work.

Have clear policies in place and stick to it. My lfs has a sign, in big letters near the goldfish that says 'We will not sell any fish to be put in an unfiltered bowl. No exceptions' which makes me want to hug them.

I'd probably also have a small stand with basic dog/cat/gerbil/bird food & accessories to sell to locals for convenience and extra cash, but don't include those online.

Additionally you could create community awareness for your shop. By placing promo aquariums in places where people are stressed and have ro wait around a lot, like drs, dentist's, and law offices. Some simple plants, a quiet filter, and a few bright fish for distraction, and a tray of business cards or a sign submersed in the water with your shop and web address.

Am out of ideas for now.

Sorry for the wall of text.

sent from my Android, because it's better than your iPhone.

Get a GOOD website. By good I mean good looking and high functioning website. Good search function. Good info pages. LOTS and LOTS of pictures. Like every product box, front, back, sides, unboxed, so that someone who hasn't seen the product before knows exactly what they're getting without having to google for specs and reviews (and possibly stumbling on a better price elsewhere)
Among other good advice from digitalgraffiti, except for that android line at the end... ;) , this would be the best. So many sites out there that are mediocre or just above.

Among other good advice from digitalgraffiti, except for that android line at the end... ;) , this would be the best. So many sites out there that are mediocre or just above.
Lol, that was my sig, haha.

I'm a web designer so bad ui and/or functionality make me bonkers. Invest in a good cms or hire someone who actually knows what they're doing. Or both.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.