The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 and 20 gallon that I can use for breeding. I was wonder what I would make more money back from. I know at this size I probably won't break even but I'm just looking for what will bring more money than the others. I'm thinking trying to breed some quality line guppies and selling them or breed dwarf cichlids like apistos( probably cockatoos), or kribs or convicts.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
+1 on the shrimps. Back in the 90's though, I bred black and albino convict cichlids and made enough from them to make my hobby self-supporting by selling/trading them to LFS. I also had Firemouth Cichlids. I don't know if you could make much from cichlids these days though, especially when shrimps are much easier to breed, cost less to maintain and can be shipped far easier than most fish.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Keep in mind though, everyone and their brother are shrimp breeders these days. Time will come when it will be hard to give away some shrimp. You'll need to focus on higher end or hard to breed varieties or focus on creating new morphs or improving current ones. This is just my opinion. I am just getting in to shrimp myself and it's not a cheap under taking to start a tank for the harder to keep breeds. I mean not super expensive, but I'm in well over $100 for just one tank and that's without shrimp. My ultimate goal is high quality OEBT's so I am looking at several hundred dollars or more just to get a small colony of shrimp once the tank is running. I'll be happy if I can make my money back and continue supporting the hobby but I don't see myself putting money in the bank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts