The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75 heavily infested with hornwort. I would rather get a fish or a few that like to eat it rather than just toss it out. Plus I have snails and shrimp that love hiding in the hornwort. So I don't want to completely get rid of it. But rather just keep it under control.

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
614 Posts

Found this from a quick search. But honestly, just get rid of it. or start a shrimp tank, man. Finding a type of fish that eats Hornwort exclusively is likely impossible. If it's not, the personality of the fish needs to be right, some times fish don't do what we think it will. I think a fish that will eat hornwort will likely eat more than just the hornwort....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a goldfish but it barely touches the hornwort. Back when I had duck weed I got the goldfish to eat that but it did not eat it either.

View attachment 1027698

Found this from a quick search. But honestly, just get rid of it. or start a shrimp tank, man. Finding a type of fish that eats Hornwort exclusively is likely impossible. If it's not, the personality of the fish needs to be right, some times fish don't do what we think it will. I think a fish that will eat hornwort will likely eat more than just the hornwort....
I was thinking of getting a few SD's in addition to my 2 Buenos Aires tetras. Im looking to go for a low maintenance natural cycle type of tank. Granted my plans for this tank has changed a few times. But i still like to keep things natural.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hornwort is one of those plants that has tough "leaves", even goldfish won't typically eat it. Any fish you get that would, will probably decimate all your other plants and eat your fish and shrimp... it grows so fast you won't really damage it by just trimming down to a manageble size. I dumped a lot of it in my goldfish pond outside. They didn't eat it, and it has survived 2 winters in temps down below freezing.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Some Rainbow fish are near vegetarians and would nibble Hornwort slowly but surely. I found that the plain jane Rainbow fish M. mccullough(?) is like a grass carp. I got it at a petco for $1.99 and only because I felt sorry for it as it had no color and 2" maybe. She's thrived,not the most colorful rainbow now at 3 3/4 inches...but mows down anything I add thats thin or fine leafed. I also think Roseline barbs have far more vegetarian tastes then mentioned in fish articles or vids.
Yes,Rainbows are like carp or can be and nobody mentions that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Non-fish idea: Cut the bottom stems off, freeze them for two days, and if you have a worm bin or compost pile, stick'em there. If you don't have a worm bin...start one haha.
That's what I've done before. Anytime the hornwort would get out of control I would cut it all back. Then I would take it all and put it on a compost pile. Im just trying to find a way to keep the tank in a natural cycle instead of constantly removing nutritional material.

·
Registered
400 Posts
By removing it,that is the most natural way. It takes all the bad things out of the water like metals. Regular harvesting improves water quality in theory- but home tanks are so small.... Look at the youtube vids of Goliad Fish Farms in Texas,he says that he removes 20 pounds of hornwort a day from his African Cichlid tubs...and either feeds the chickens or uses it for compost.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I think I have to tell you that the tank isn't in a natural cycle already...we constantly add in nutrients by feeding, fertilizing, and doing water changes, while taking out other nutrients in the form of water changes and trimming plants. It's admirable that you want to keep things in a natural cycle, but it just doesn't work unfortunately.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I have to tell you that the tank isn't in a natural cycle already...we constantly add in nutrients by feeding, fertilizing, and doing water changes, while taking out other nutrients in the form of water changes and trimming plants. It's admirable that you want to keep things in a natural cycle, but it just doesn't work unfortunately.
It is possible as it has been done before. I have even done it. I have a 10 that is self sustaining. The fish eat the plants the plants clean the water. I do no water changes or feeding. It is a closed loop except for the water that I add due to evaporation. Granted its only got 1 neon tetra (it had more) a ramshorn snail and some pond snails. That tank has not been touched in almost 10 years. I don't even change the filter media.

So i am just trying to replicate that in my 75. Granted it took time and a few fish to get the 10 where it is at but i know its possible.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 75 heavily infested with hornwort. I would rather get a fish or a few that like to eat it rather than just toss it out. Plus I have snails and shrimp that love hiding in the hornwort. So I don't want to completely get rid of it. But rather just keep it under control.
Scuds will eat hornwort. Get a small 5-10gal tank, add aquarium water, add hornwort, add scuds, add an airstone and keep at 25ºC. Harvest every 2 weeks and feed to your fish

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Scuds will eat hornwort. Get a small 5-10gal tank, add aquarium water, add hornwort, add scuds, add an airstone and keep at 25ºC. Harvest every 2 weeks and feed to your fish
Thanks I was looking into scuds already. Trying to find some localy. Will they survive if I put them directly into the 75? I'm trying to keep it as self contained as possible.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.