The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two months ago I started setting up a new tank for CRS. Its a 12 cube tank, hold roughly 8 gallons of water. I have used ADA Amazonia II as a substrate. Plants are Rotala Rotundifolia, St Repens and lots of Christmas moss. Decoation items include a small branch wood and some rocks. I started dry but later HC came off so got rid of HC all together. Its been running for almost two months (4 weeks dry and 5 weeks after flooding) before I added 4 pairs of SS grade CRS. I am using RO water which reads TDS 28, pH 6.4. I have used Salty Shrimp GH+ to boost the TDS to 120.

My current tank parameters are pH 7.2, TDS 119. Not sure about GH/KH since I dont have test kits and they are not available here. I have been loosing CRS after the first two days. At first I lost two and I suspected its the DIY CO2 causing the problem so I removed it. Then I discovered another CRS stuck halfway through molting and even after I detached the exuvia from its body, it died after 24 hours of struggle. Another CRS dies and I saw it had molting issue as well. Today I found another dead body with a fresh exuvia beside. I have added IAL (boiled it for 10 minutes then put it inside the HOB filter).

My filtration includes a HOB and a spray bar mini power filter. Media are synthetic cotton and synthetic sponge. Ammonia, Nitrate reads 0 ppm.

The pH is not going down despite having a fat layer of ADA at the bottom. I suspected that the stones were the culprit so I removed some of them and kept them in a pot overnight with tap water. The pH did not change.

Any idea what went wrong? Please note that, I am from a country where everything is not available and those which are, comes at a very high price. We as a community are struggling with CRS for more than a year and there is yet any success. This means, a few of us are trying hard but no one has been able to keep and breed CRS successfully so far.

Any idea what went wrong? Thanks for the help in advance!
Cheers!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is by no means gospel. I started in crs about two years ago. I have experienced numerous/countless deaths in my learning process. I think personally a ph of 7.2 is fine as long as it is constant. I used to change 4 gallons a week in a twenty gallon tank and was still experiencing losses. However my PH was around 8 out of the ro. As far as GH, I would definitely get a test kit. Just because you have tds of120 doesn't mean you have a proper GH to support molting. I personally have 8ppm coming from ro and once i get my GH to around 5.5-6 my pps is around 140. Another thing i did thanks to some great advice is set up a 12 gallon rubbermaid container with a hang on the back, a heater, and some peat and almond leaves in it. I also picked up some Borneowild products like crimson, white, vigor to help with other nutrients not supplied. I also stopped doing water changes since my tds stays steady at 140. Even though i was dripping 4 gallons of water into the tank over 5 hours when doing water changes, the ph difference or what ever difference was still causing deaths. Since i have done all this, I have not experienced any deaths. I even have about 10 berried females and about 30 babies running around. I also stopped putting my hands in the tank. I use tweezers to get plant particles out, tweezers to get food from containers, I use a ugf up tube to put in the water down to the dish to add food. These all may not seem like huge things but it has proven invaluable to me. It took me a long time to realize that these shrimp HATE change. It has been about 2 months since i did a water change and i have not had one death. Oh and i add some Bacter-9 every other week to help bacteria.
Hope this helps
20L
Ph-6.8
NH4=NO3=NO4=PO4=0
TDS=140
Temp=72.5
Good luck to you.

·
Registered
788 Posts
The pH is not going down despite having a fat layer of ADA at the bottom. I suspected that the stones were the culprit so I removed some of them and kept them in a pot overnight with tap water. The pH did not change.
Try putting the rocks in a pot with RO water. Your tap water might have a high kH so the pH didn't change.

Use RO water or vinegar (strong) to test a rock if it is inert.

Also, rocks can leech gH and kH keep that in mind because an excess of lack of the two will result in molting issues. pH 7.2 isn't that much of a killer compared to wrong gH and kH values.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Can you get thingsfrom e-bay ? They have MGSO4 whch is used to bring up the GH.
About 1/4 teaspoon for 40 liter tank one time after each water change.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have lost 8 of them, that was exactly what I started with so right now I am out of CRS. I guess I'll have to restart. I think I made a few mistakes along the way. I will be setting up a new tank completely different way. Here is one youtube video I came across with:

And also this article featuring a very interesting UGF filtration.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=155975

I guess I will never know unless I try. If I go this route, do you guys see any potential issue? Also, what soil additives do you think are there (in the TPT article) apart from deep sea mud? Would you suggest Akadama over ADA Malaya/Africana?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
you need to know all your parameters that inclueds gh and kh. what about water supply do you use copper pipes? inverts are sensitive to copper or any heavy metal. something was making ph go up so im pretty sure the other parameters went up as well. the point of ada amazonia is to hold parameters so they dont move. something made them move. i would almost bet the rocks is what did it. the only way to have success is to figure out what you did wrong the first time because you could keep makeing the same mistake.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was using RO water to avoid unknown factors. But, I think my mistake was trying to do a planted tank and a CRS tank together. Next time, I will go for a shrimp breeding tank with Sponge or DIY PVC UG filter, Akadama substrate and moss on branchwood... may be a few mineral rocks, thats all.

What substrate additives do you suggest to put under the substrate? We have Borneo Wild products available here. Also in case I cant manage to get my hands on Akadama, how does the Borneo Wild shrimp soil perform?

Also, in the youtube clip I posted above, the breeder is using some kind of O2 diffuser/reactor, any idea where can I get one? Can I use a fine airstone in place of that? Wouldn't it bump my pH up (more dissolved O2 means less dissolved CO2)?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
there is my TB tank i will soon have shrimp and the parameters have held steady since first of February when it cycled. all i did was use ada amazonia and i use ro water with salty shrimp GH+. i have prime for a dechlor but not sure i need it with using ro water. when i had crs i used fluval shrimp stratum and it was a planted tank as well and used tap water and had tons of babies. something in the tank is what was causing the problem but if you dont know all your parameters that is where you need to start. you need to know ph, gh, kh, tds, ammo, nitrite, nitrate, and temp. some where there is a prob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.