The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the title asks it all...

FYI: i've been using the two white, plastic ones that it came with until i experienced a leak. then i changed to some the shop that refills my tank gave me and the tank leaked all out over night. i was wondering what washers folks used with their jbj regulators.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so even though they give you two, you should use one at a time?

·
Registered
712 Posts
reminds me of the time, i was changing my oil filter and forgot to see if i removed the gasket with the old filter can. i started my engine and lost of my oil in about a minute. heh. it was a good lesson, because from then on i always double/triple check to make sure i haven't left two gaskets on when installing the filter. anyways, definitely check to make sure you're only using one crush washer.
-snafu

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Yep, use one washer - placed inside the large nut - between the reg and the tank - cranked tight. No thread tape is needed.

The cardboard (?) washers from the welding shop work equally well - cost less than a quarter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hum...
the instructions clearly say to use teflon tape and also to "insert both washers into the female nut of the regulator..."
Are they off to left field then?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Don't know what to say, mezcal. Years of experience, without a single leak tells me otherwise. I've used regulators for other gasses, and we always use only one washer (or, in some cases, no washers). And IMO, if you need tape to prevent a gas leak, something is "off". BTW, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
after "attempting" to use two washers like they suggests, i kept getting fast and slow leaks. now after using one washer, i can really tell that the gas is not running out as quick as it did. not sure why they say to use two, but along with everyone else, i would only use one.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i'm not the hulk, so i used a wrench. ;)

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Oh geez! You NEED to use a wrench. Grab a (at least) 1" adjustable wrench from the hardware store. For $10, you'll never have another leak. I can't stress enough how important the right tool for the job is on this one. Don't go trying to fudge it with a pair of channel locks or plyers. Get the wrench! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts