The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than spinach and zucchini, what can I feed my fish? The Buenos Aires Tetras need veggie matter, and the Tetra Spirulina Flakes are so expensive. Also, how do you prep the veggies? I shaved paper thin 1/4" discs off a zucchini I was preparing for dinner (from my own organic garden), and they loved it - but is raw hard to digest - I don't want constipated fish!

I'm disappointed in the Hikari Spirulina Brine Shrimp - while they thaw in the cup of tank water, all the green spirulina settles on the bottom, leaving what looks like empty brine husks. The spirulina disperses in the tank like dust...
Thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I feed mine frozen peas pretty often...microwave them in a little water for about 60 seconds, then pop them out of their skins and dump them in the tank. Everyone seems to enjoy them.

I'll feed zucchini, cucumber, and spinach sometimes too. The cuc and spinach I'll feed raw. For zucchini, you can cut a chunk off, then cut it in half longways to expose the insides. I boil it for just a little bit to soften it up a little. I don't think you need to worry about raw food being too hard to digest, however I think it makes it easier for them to nibble off when it's been cooked a little. I read on a goldfish forum not to feed cucumber or zucchini that has been cut into medallions as larger fish can get lassoed once the inside has been eaten out...but that won't be a problem for small fish lol.

I've tried boiled carrot and butternut squash. Neither really went over very well though...bananas or frozen raspberries either lol.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
+1 on Frozen Peas but, I just mash them with a fork once they are thawed.

I also feed Seaweed sheets from PetCo. which look suspiciously like Nori sheets? When I run out, I'll be switching to Nori sheets.

Those come 16 to a bag about 5x5" sq. I cut a 1 " strip and use a plastic coated pair clip on on end to hold it underwater. I just stick the paper clip in the substrate.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just use canned peas. Squeeze the pea innards into the tank and your fish will become Piranha.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome! Thank you for all the helpful ideas :bounce:

I'll pick up some peas at work today (probably frozen, if they have less sodium than canned) and we have a really nice Asian/Middle Eastern store called Oasis in town - I'll go there for the Nori sheets. PetCo is over an hour away anyhow, lol.

Oh, and are the pellets floating? Because if they sink right off the bat, none of my fish will eat them...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.