The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Ok, in a 55 gallon african cichlid tank, i have a jungle val i started from a small plant. the tank has absolutely no co2(very much aireation and surface ag.)
no ferts except poo.
the val in a matter of 2 months, has grown from 6" to the top of my tank and halfway accross, with all kinds of new leaves
this tank has nova 4x 54watt t5 ho.

in my 55 planted tank(4x 65w coralife pc)
getting more co2 from fish breath, no S.A, flourish fert 2x weekly, and lots of poo.
many vals in here, all jungle. but they have just barely grown to the top, and some haven't yet. they have been there for 2 months too.
What is going on?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh, and i should mention this.
in the planted tank, i have a bunch of nymphea taiwans that grow to the top in a matter of days after trimming.

in the cichlid tank, i have a nymphea taiwan that is about 3" tall and doesn't grow.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
it might be the case that the val likes the ph & hardness in the cichlid tank. And it has no other plants to compete with so it gets all the nutrients.

and it has been documented that some plants send out chemicals to retard the growth of another plant. call it chemical warfare.

·
Registered
203 Posts
my brother has a tank with no co2, barely turns on the lights, and his val grows like crazy. I took it and put it in my tank and it started to melt away, even with Co2???

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's the ultimate test.
i am gonna put 2 18" vals from my planted tank into the cichlid tank. we'll see in a month how it looks.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hornwart sends out an algae deterant that apparantly attracts BGA!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts