Votes: 41 23.7%
  • enriched gravel with nutrients

Votes: 132 76.3%
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im curious to see what people use as substrate. I have regular gravel but it is very small in size.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I sometimes feel like my regular gravel is not good enough.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well there is just some much enriched substrate to choose from im over welmed at what will be the:

best for my money
wont change my water(ph)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so just flourite and nothing else....i have a 100 gallon tank to fill...that would be..how many bags? lol

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i could just keep my substrate and mix some bags of flourite with it..??

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i did the substrate calculator and to get one inch of substrate with flourite, i would need 80lbs which equals to 5 bags of flourite at 13.99 totalling $72. I could just add this to my original substrate that i already have in my tank. You see, im planning on moving so ill have to drain the tank and take everything out any way so I could mix both of the substrates together to get 1. deeper soil over all
2. add substrate with nutrients!

for $72 dollars!

·
Registered
933 Posts
I use only Flourite. I have 4 bags in my 29. You can usually find it for $1.00 a pound. If your going to get a large tank, expect to boy large or a lot of stuff. LOL
I only wish it came in all black.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would go with eco

or SMS from lescos

50 pound for 15.99

i mean look at scallens tank, he has SMS and he has plants for sale everyweek , flourishing like crazy
what exactly is this type of gravel? where can i get it? pics?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Save your money and buy the soilmaster. I trim 2-3 times a week and throw away 3x times what I sell on here and at the LFS's. I think I spent $27 for two bags and have done my 75 gal, a 20 gal long, and I still have enough left to do another small tank. Also mixed some in some potting soil for some house plants. The red is not real pretty but it will stay covered with plants, also available in charcoal color that is nice. I am sure AS, eco, and the seachem stuff are all great substrates, but not required for 99% of the plants we grow. For me it was the best value and available down the street. It is inert and has good CEC. you can check out this thread to see some of it in "action". JMHO ymmv

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/photo-album/40800-75-gal-weed-collection-big-pics.html

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Save your money and buy the soilmaster. I trim 2-3 times a week and throw away 3x times what I sell on here and at the LFS's. I think I spent $27 for two bags and have done my 75 gal, a 20 gal long, and I still have enough left to do another small tank. Also mixed some in some potting soil for some house plants. The red is not real pretty but it will stay covered with plants, also available in charcoal color that is nice. I am sure AS, eco, and the seachem stuff are all great substrates, but not required for 99% of the plants we grow. For me it was the best value and available down the street. It is inert and has good CEC. you can check out this thread to see some of it in "action". JMHO ymmv

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/photo-album/40800-75-gal-weed-collection-big-pics.html
so the substrate in your link is soilmaster? The red color isnt that bad...So where can i get this stuff??? So it has alot of nutrients in it?

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.