The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all
I have a community tank with 3xdiscus, 2xboesmani rainbows, 10xcardinal tetra's, 2xbristlenoses and 3xclown loaches.
I have grown quite fond of these little shrimp and want to get some for the tank with the fish specified above. I quite like the look of the glass shrimp(AKA. Ghost shrimp). Do any of you shrimp experts out there know if there would be a problem with these shrimp being added to my community tank? I ask this because I have heard some fish(i don't know what type) will eat these invertabrates. If this will happen in my tank could you tell me the fish that are likely to eat them that are in the tank specified above. Also as a backup, what other readily available shrimp could i put in with them? Does anyone know any online shops(preferably based in Australia)that i can buy some from?
thanx in advance
fishkid:proud:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Your Discus may eat them if they have a chance. If you give the shrimp places to hide and feed your Discus well, they should be okay however. But then again, you might not even see your shrimp that often or at all since they'll most likely always be hiding.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Ghost shrimp are really cheap, in fact used as feeders a lot times. Get some of those and if your fish eat them, then it's not too bad. They get a nice "cheap" live snack. If not, then you may try some of the other shrimp like amanos or even cherries. But if you are set on trying shrimp in this tank, I would go for the ghost shrimp.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok thanx all
the majority say to get ghosts and see of they are eaten.....how many do you reckon? does anyone know of any online shops that sell these?
Cheers and thanx for the quick replys...
Twinnies

·
Registered
845 Posts
Ah...Aussieland! We have lots of ghost shrimpies in US, but shipping to Oz wouldn't be feasible. Have you tried your local LFS? See if they can order some for you, that way you don't have to face the shipping hassles.

I'm assuming you have a 55G or larger tank because of your discus.... try throwing in 5 to 10 ghost shrimp. I would go with 10 personally. Keep an eye out and see how they do. If they make it, then I'm sure amanos would do ok in there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great!!!!!!!!I think shrimp are awsome!!!!!!
I will see a few of my LFS and check out if theyve got them. If not I do know 1 aus. online shop....for all you aussie(including me) there are lots of fish and a few invertabrates at low prices at livefish.com.au

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
by the way, you'll give your shrimp a lot better of a chance if you introduce them at night, when the lights are off and the fish have a harder time seeing
Cheers, I never thought of that......

A friend had salfin molly fry a few weeks ago and they are about 1cm(1/2"aprox.) and he has decided he will give them to the fish shop. He said to me that if i want some he will gladly give me some. They are so cute and i couldn't resist. Will these fish effect the shrimp-I figuired they wont because they are so small and will grow up with them.........dunno how long itll be til i get shrimp
twinnies

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Is there a list somewhere of fish that are safe with RCS?
Gene
Yeah there is and I'll post it right here

Otto Catfish,

:hihi: That's all. Every other fish could eat a shrimp.

Your next best bet after Ottos are Dwarf corry cats.

As for shrimp that could survive in that tank, I would look into some of the macro shrimp that aren't too aggressive... Rusty claw could be one to look into.

-Andrew

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.