The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got these shrimp and to me they look like red tupfel, anyone have any specifics on them? I am curious what they are because they are really pretty and much cheaper than the red cherries. They were labeled as amano but even the fish guy said they didn't look anything like them.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Think so? I have cherries in the same tank and they look totally different. They are much bigger, body is shaped different, their color is lighter and they have faint stripes on their back. There were also some in the tank that weren't really much of a red at all. I got the reddest ones I could. Do cherries differ that drastically in appearance?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I don't have much experience with cherries, I got mine a few weeks ago and they're only like a little over a half inch and the mystery ones are a little less than an inch.

The opae ula do look similar, they just look a bit deeper red. Mine look rather cloudy. It could be though those though, are the opae ula okay to breed in just normal freshwater conditions with my red cherries?

·
Banned
235 Posts
^ They look nothing like ghost shrimp.

I have no idea what they are, First thought was maybe a babaulti, but it's body structure is totally different. What I'm going to assume is it's a wild type neo. Very cool shrimp I dig the coloration. Dibs if you ever decide to sell some =D

Where did you purchase them if you don't mind me asking?

http://www.planetinverts.com/Neocaridina_Heteropoda.html

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
It's almost certainly salt-water-larva shrimp by the triangle hump on the back. It doesn't quite look amano or ghost, but there are hundreds of varieties of shrimp if not thousands just in the 1-2" size of fresh water shrimp, so they could be anything. They could also be something like a ghost shrimp that was fed food that turned it red for a bit.

Certainly not a cherry.

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Well... Hard telling from your photos.

I agree that they're not Opae Ula, not due to color, as mine (I have around 200 of them) vary from nearly clear to very dark red. Opae Ula also have very small eyes, not really visible without a magnifying glass (at least for me! Lol!), and a head that tends to be a bit "bulbous".

The body shape is similar to a Ghost Shrimp, but their "limbs" and "feelers" tend to be long for the body.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow thanks for all the replies everyone. I got them at Fish Haven in Escondido for $2. I am going to get a few more and see if they'll breed, if so ill let you know :p

I've gone there a few times for amanos and they always have these mis-marked. Weird.

Here is a clearer picture for those interested.

Attachments

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
I'm with GeTo, this looks nothing like a cherry.

It is easy for an Amano or a ghost shrimp to eat something that turns it red/orange, and like he said there are just so many species of shrimp out there.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I'm thinking sunkist or something similar. I'm betting on salt water larva stage, that hump in the back only occurs in larva shrimp species.

The red also isn't a cherry red, it's an orangy-pink-red, which I've seen sunkist look like before.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.