The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I cleaned my three canisters the other day, one after the other, and I'm tired of the minor inconvenience of pouring the biomedia into a separate jug. I'd much rather be able to pluck it from the tray, and toss it into the jug, with no pouring involved. I know, what an appallingly minor triviality. A few stragglers inevitably spill out onto the floor and I have to pick them up and rinse the dog hair off of them which is downright annoying, even if only mildly so. I've seen nylon pantyhose suggested but I'm looking for larger nylon bags that will conform to the shape of my Eheim canister and the media trays in my Fluval and SunSun with small enough holes to prevent the escape of Eheim Substrat Pro--the only bio I use. Anybody have any recommendations?

·
Banned
483 Posts
rip

I've heard panty hose...

I cleaned my three canisters the other day, one after the other, and I'm tired of the minor inconvenience of pouring the biomedia into a separate jug. I'd much rather be able to pluck it from the tray, and toss it into the jug, with no pouring involved. I know, what an appallingly minor triviality. A few stragglers inevitably spill out onto the floor and I have to pick them up and rinse the dog hair off of them which is downright annoying, even if only mildly so. I've seen nylons suggested but I'm looking for larger nylon bags that will conform to the shape of my Eheim canister and the media trays in my Fluval and SunSun with small enough holes to prevent the escape of Eheim Substrat Pro--the only bio I use. Anybody have any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Small lingerie bags with zippers, the type used in washing machines or you can buy media bags of the size you need with either drawstring or Velcro closures.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
You can use any media bags you find at any fish store. Usually those are pretty fine mesh though so the bags can clog a bit quickly. Ebay (just search "media bags" or "mesh bags" under pet products, you can even search for ones with a zipper, but no idea if they rust shut) has larger hole media bags, which look like they can hold the Eheim SubstratPro just fine (except maybe small fragmented/worn off pieces, so make sure to use finer mechanical filtration to catch any potential abrasives before they reach the filter impeller).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.