Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of fish are Glofish?

I believe I have identified
1. Zebra fish
2. Tiger barb
3. Some kind of tetra

Perhaps someone here can identify what type of fish is the gloflish tetra.

Also, are these ok in a community fish tank or better in a glofish only fish tank? I figured it might be interesting to add some wacky colors to the tank.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Glow fish are a GMO. They carry the same "personality traits" and needs as their non-GMO siblings, so a barb is essentially a barb with or without the Glow gene.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are very dull in color unless you use the special glofish lights. The barbs will be nippy.
Are the glowfish light just blue led lights? If so, I wonder if a special night light can turn on when the main light is off to show off some colors. I wonder if such a light would stress out the regular fish to basically have some kind of light on day and night.

Is it true that if the fish breed in your tank you have to pay the glowlight company a royalty check since they are trademarked ?

If they are genetically modifying animals now for pets, I wonder if they can make a cat which does not need to go to the bathroom. :laugh2:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are the glowfish light just blue led lights? If so, I wonder if a special night light can turn on when the main light is off to show off some colors. I wonder if such a light would stress out the regular fish to basically have some kind of light on day and night.

Is it true that if the fish breed in your tank you have to pay the glowlight company a royalty check since they are trademarked ?

If they are genetically modifying animals now for pets, I wonder if they can make a cat which does not need to go to the bathroom. :laugh2:
I want a GLOCAT

·
Registered
21,012 Posts

I would settle for a cat that instinctively cleans its own litterbox, once a day. Or, if that is difficult, one that always goes outdoors, digs a trench and uses it for a litter box, followed by covering it over, and reseeding it with bluegrass.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I would settle for a cat that instinctively cleans its own litterbox, once a day. Or, if that is difficult, one that always goes outdoors, digs a trench and uses it for a litter box, followed by covering it over, and reseeding it with bluegrass.
The best you can hope for is a cat that will accompany you, purr and rub against your legs while you do all these things for it.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

I really don't know about the light, I think it is the same as a 'black light', but honestly don't know. I don't care for the look of those fish, so I've never explored the topic.
How about a glow cat? If they can make fish glow, and send a man to the moon, then a glow cat would be great. Although, glow deer would be better, because where I live they cause car accidents every year.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I really don't know about the light, I think it is the same as a 'black light', but honestly don't know. I don't care for the look of those fish, so I've never explored the topic.
How about a glow cat? If they can make fish glow, and send a man to the moon, then a glow cat would be great. Although, glow deer would be better, because where I live they cause car accidents every year.
As a sometimes commuting motorcyclist living in a rural area, I second this!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Here is the official glofish species list from Segrest: GloFish® - SegrestFarms Small Animal Wholesale and Saltwater Fish Wholesale - Segrest Farms If I recall correctly they recently announced a glo angelfish.

I hated these things on principal when they were first becoming popular. However, I cant deny that they are eye catching and little kids certainly love them. I now look at it as a fantastic way to introduce the next generation of fishkeepers to the hobby. My little girl loves these things and you cant deny that an out and out glofish tank can be pretty visually striking. Because of that my 4 year old (now 5) has her very own tank in my fishroom. The price of these things is downright despicable though especially considering their threatening legal mumbo jumbo. Not sure how you can stop a natural act! Even more unsure how you can threaten legal action if there is no profit involved. But oh well!

·
Registered
987 Posts
They're probably counting on the probability of nobody trying with the tetras.

I think they'll find it to be a bit harder with angelfish. After all, most angelfish breeders got their start when the danged things paired off and tried to kill everything in their tank. That said, I can't see any serious angelfish breeders bothering with them. Not when they have so many other interesting things to experiment with.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.