The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setting up 2 QT tanks, 20 L. They will be setup all the time. For the first few months they will be setup both as QT tanks, then after my tank is stocked, one will only be for QT, the other will be for grow out tank for fry and plants.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I keep everything in a maintenance "closet", a 6'x6' room with a door, so I don't worry much about noise.

that being said, these aren't that noisy when i'm in the room. I have a larger sponge filter that I need to modify because it doesn't have that turn over like these and it just bubbles too much.

to keep noise down I keep the water level just over the bottom lip of the 90 so air can escape w/o bubbling too much.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I keep everything in a maintenance "closet", a 6'x6' room with a door, so I don't worry much about noise.

that being said, these aren't that noisy when i'm in the room. I have a larger sponge filter that I need to modify because it doesn't have that turn over like these and it just bubbles too much.

to keep noise down I keep the water level just over the bottom lip of the 90 so air can escape w/o bubbling too much.
Thanks for the info. I think that the way I am going to go, but need to make sure I can get it silent. My son room right next to area the QT will be in, and years ago when I had it setup, we could hear it in his room. Whisper pump, was anything but whisper. ha

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Any filter should work fine.

I usually use old HOBs I have lying around and then stuff them with already cycled media from some of my established tanks so I don't have to worry about cycling the QT.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
i found a really cheap and simple internal filter had some advantages fo QT/growout. I got them in the $15 range at Wally world. advantages I saw were the way they hung inside as much as anything. Normally that is bad but since looks are not the main concern, I went with the less noise and ease of maintenance. Since the motor and anll parts are in the water, noise is really low due to being muffled and water splash is not a factor. They have an adjustable mount to move it up/down on the tank side. I did not use the ready made cartridge but stripped the original down and then wrapped is in blue/white bonded pad for normal use. For QT and fry where I frequently changed water, the question of bio bacteria was not all that important as the load was so low. Sick fish, newly shipped fish and fry rarely use much food so the load is small. If I had a need for a larger bacteria I would have kept the filter on the back of an existing tank, ready to swing over when needed.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I had not see those but looking from here it would be something I would like to try. It has many of the bennies of larger canister and the price is looking good. No bypass makes the filter cleaning space out further which is a big one for me. You should be able to change out or add the media if there was some special point (bio or mechanical) you wanted to change.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What do you think about Hamburg Mattenfilter with air pump? I assume this could run for years before I have to mess with it? Though seems like it would not keep the tank as clean.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.