The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This algae covers most of my plants, and is quite easy to pick off:

When I've left the aquarium alone for a while, the algae that dislodged from the plants builds up on the bottom:

You can also see it on several plants in the picture.

What type of algae is this? Could it be cyanobacteria?
It's quite loose, but doesn't seem slimy to me.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Try reducing the hours you have the light on. Remove as much of the BGA as you can and then add some hydrogen peroxide by either spraying the plants with water drained out or add by turkey baster under water to the algae..you will see it fizz as it dissolves the algae.

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
621 Posts
Try reducing the hours you have the light on. Remove as much of the BGA as you can and then add some hydrogen peroxide by either spraying the plants with water drained out or add by turkey baster under water to the algae..you will see it fizz as it dissolves the algae.
Agree with Stan here, but I recommend just pulling them. They are all attached to drift would or in gravel, both are easy to remove and then put back. pull them out, treat, and replace. I would look a little more into the Hydrogen Peroxide. I don't know if it needs to be rinsed or what, as I haven't done it myself. But I hear it a lot as a fix and plan to use it as well in the future whenever this happens to me. I'm sure it will eventually.

My guess also is the lighting being the cause. Try less time with the light on maybe? But to know for sure why it's there you would want to do some water testing. also knowing what your habits are with the tank will help us to help you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hello,
Thanks for the responses.

Here on AqAdvisor you can find more info on my tank:
  • 7 x Panda Cory (Corydoras panda)
  • 10 x Cardinal Tetra (Paracheirodon axelrodi)
  • 4 x Nerite Snail (Nerita sp.)
  • Tank (LxDxH): 80 x 30 x 40 cm (25.4gUS)
I do a 20 to 30 % water change each week.
Light specs: 46w led, 2986 lm, 230 PAR.
I had it on 6.5 hours a day, but reduced it to 5 now.
Filter: JBL CristalProfi e702 greenline
I dose 3 ml of Easy Life Easy Carbo daily, otherwise no CO2.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We're now 2 weeks further, and it seems the BGA has started to go away by itself after reducing the light to 5 hours:

Not all is gone, as you can see, but it has greatly improved already.
Do you think I can keep the light duration at 5 hours, or is that too little for my plants?
See post above for details on my tank.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Believe it or not,some use only 6 hours and have lush tanks. I find the best algae reduction is ..less hours of light. We all know peroxide is good for spot treatment...but its not something to use often. You could even not put the lights on for 3 or 4 days..total darkness..and the cyano will fall faster than healthy plants.
But after you've done all that? Keep the filter media clean. A clean filter and never excess light intensity will work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.