The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 gallon heavily planted tank with fluorite black substrate, fluval 207 filter, 3 glofish tetra, 3 rosy tetra. I have a twinstar light that i run for 8 hours a day. But what ive found is this algae will grow within even 1 or 2 hours of the light being on and it seems to like the substrate at the front and even on top of leaves. I clean it everyday, and within a few hours its back. Test strips show nitrates, nitrites, ammonia all minimal. I am using fertilizer every other day and flourish excel everyday.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
It looks like Cyanobacteria, often called blue-green algae. There are various methods to get rid of it, some recommend a black out period, increasing water movement, antibiotics or using a product such as Chemiclean. There are a number of topics posted on how to treat it.

Reactions: skimon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like Cyanobacteria, often called blue-green algae. There are various methods to get rid of it, some recommend a black out period, increasing water movement, antibiotics or using a product such as Chemiclean. There are a number of topics posted on how to treat it.
Thanks for the reply. I read a bunch about BGA and a couple things make me suspect that it might not be BGA (however im not certain by any means) . 1) It doesn't smell bad, in fact it smells of nothing as far as i can tell. 2) It isn't forming sheets anywhere like on the glass, in fact its not forming on the glass at all as far as i can tell - just a little bit on the substrate where its exposed to light and also on leaves of wisteria in places.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I read a bunch about BGA and a couple things make me suspect that it might not be BGA (however im not certain by any means) . 1) It doesn't smell bad, in fact it smells of nothing as far as i can tell. 2) It isn't forming sheets anywhere like on the glass, in fact its not forming on the glass at all as far as i can tell - just a little bit on the substrate where its exposed to light and also on leaves of wisteria in places.
No smell makes me think sheet algae or green diatom. I think the usual culprit is an imbalance of nitrogen and phosphate but don't quote me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.