The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some algae thats is white to opaque looking.it resembles staghorn alge but not as whispy. It is only on the edges of my tall grass plants and my mid heighth plants have a little on the leaves as well. I run diy co2 & two spiral cpf totaling 26 watts. It is a tem gallon tank that has been set up about a month and a half. What could it be?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Got a picture? Just from your description its hard to be sure but it could be a number of things....

In newer tanks fungus is not uncommon. It is usually white in appearance as is your mystery substance, but more often than not it forms on the substrate, not the plant leaves.

Most algae turns white as it dies. It might have been staghorn which is just more noticeable now that it dying off. This could be a result of the addition of C02 or a preferable shift of other tank parameters.

If you did just add the C02 however, it might be another culprit... The Co2 reactor itself. If you left the tube to long or the 2 liter itself has tipped over it is possible for the yeast/sugar/water mixture to back siphon into the tank. When it does. it usually results in a slimy, white substance that will cling to your plants and hardscape.

These are just a few possibilities, I am sure there are others. If you can add a picture and give us some additional info I'm sure someone will be able to tell you for sure.:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.