The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few tanks here and there that use twigs as part of the hardscape and since twigs aren't sold at the LFS, I'm wondering what twigs are ok to use? Or can any twig be used as long as it's boiled or something? Are there steps to preparing freshly broken off twigs for use in aquariums? Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Bump for an answer, coz I'd like to know too...

I was actually looking for some branches/ twigs TODAY, but began thinking of how I was going to boil it or whatever or put it in the oven and then I was kind of EHH and just threw it back on the ground....... :mad:

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Actually those aren't twigs that you pick up from the ground. The twigs that you have mostly likely seen are twigs found in rivers made into "driftwood" form.

Otherwise you could go to manzanita.com. They have what you are looking for. Sandblasted ones are preferred most of the time.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Generally anything that you find outside will leach tannins, and either end up fungusing or rotting. Not every piece, just most pieces.

Manzanita wood is great though, a really branchy look and if you call the guys they can find you pretty much any shape or special request piece you want.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I thought it was recommended to have wood that has already been waterlogged...? I am worried I will chose the wrong wood or that there might be sap in it. I would rather collect my own, as I am worried about how people ship something that shape without it getting damaged in transit. Also, last time I checked, manzanita is kind of expensive!

If I waterlog some branches, dry.heat and then give a coat of epoxy, would this be ok? Would the epoxy later on prevent moss from growing on the branch?

·
Registered
116 Posts
It occurs to me that any old twig could come from a tree that has been treated with various chemicals (either as fertilizer or pesticides, sprayed on or via the roots), so you might want to be careful about that.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
There's a place that I go camping at about once or twice a year that has LOADS of manzanita. I'll have to check it out. I'd never pay for it, when its that easily obtained. Also, being out in the woods, there probably won't be chemicals and such. I'd need to boil it obviously.

·
Registered
472 Posts
You're worrying too much. Find some nice wood that you like which is already dead and not rotting, and boil it for a while to get some of the tannins out and to help it sink. The tannins won't hurt your fish, they'll just turn the water brown, which you can always fix with a water change or two.

·
Registered
420 Posts
You're worrying too much. Find some nice wood that you like which is already dead and not rotting, and boil it for a while to get some of the tannins out and to help it sink. The tannins won't hurt your fish, they'll just turn the water brown, which you can always fix with a water change or two.
Thanks, confuted. I live by the Sacramento River, so I am just going to walk across the street and look for branches that are already in the water or branches that look "dead" and boil and treat those for a week and see how that goes. Thank you :hihi:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.