The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure this is in the right place, feel free to put it in another forum. I've seen videos of people teaching their fish to "play" soccer and the like, and on mythbusters, they taught goldfish to swim through hoops. What have you guys taught your fish? One thing I've taught all my predatory fish to do is bite my finger before I feed them. The kids love it because I'll tell them my son's betta, (Elvis) will give them a kiss, if they ask real nice. They stick their finger in the tank, and he goes nuts!

I did the same with a sun fish a while back. You'd never seen a grown man jump so much when half his finger was swallowed by a little 5 inch fish! LOL! MAN those things can be agressive!

·
Registered
890 Posts
:biggrin: Next time you invite someone over, have them stick their finger in the sunfish tank, and we want you to put that on youtube and post it here :proud:

With one goldfish I had a while back, I trained him to follow my finger, and he'd sometimes flip trying to chase it. The other didn't quite get it, so I felt bad rewarding the other one all the time, so we stopped.

I'm trying to train the 'tap on the lid before you feed them' thing.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I didn't really train this to my fish, I just kind of realized what he was doing. My first Betta would dance with me. I would put his bowl on the kitchen counter and turn on some music. I would spin in circles and make up and down movements, he would replicate them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Its an interesting area of study because it is only the short term memory of fish that is crap (around 10 seconds), their long term memory is actually quite good, hence they remember where the food comes from when they are fed and get excited just before they are fed hence they must remember being fed before... :D

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LoL, I like them, keep em coming. And defiesexistence, I would video it, but we only kept the sunfish for a month. It was in a 6 gallon tank, and I didn't want to stunt it's growth. So we released it back to it's home after having our fun. Great fish though. If I had a big enough tank, I would totally get another one.

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
my betta ( leroy ) let me pet him sometimes. how did you get your predatory fish to bite your finger before getting fed? that would be something cool to teach leroy

my dwarf puffers used to jump out of the tank for their blood worms. and also let me hand feed them.

im wondering what else cool i could teach leroy

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
i didn't train him, but my betta has started jumping out of the water when i feed him now. it is like he is trying to either bite my finger or get the food out of my hand. he is silly! i also stick the tip of my finger in the water and wait for him to come over to me before i feed him. he always comes right over. :)

·
Banned
313 Posts
Its an interesting area of study because it is only the short term memory of fish that is crap (around 10 seconds), their long term memory is actually quite good, hence they remember where the food comes from when they are fed and get excited just before they are fed hence they must remember being fed before... :D
Thats a complete myth, and an abuse on the term, short term memory.
If you want to say they have short term memories, then sure they do, but they don't forget, they just move short term memories to long term memories..
If they had a bad short term memory, how would you define that?
Clearly if they remember being fed, etc, they didn't forget being fed, or who fed them, or what it looked like.
So maybe they forgot it in their short term memories, but then remembered it somehow later, in long term memory?
no.

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
so i couldnt help myself, and went to bettacare101.com, and tried to train my betta to flair at a pen, using the method they used. it actually worked! he isnt fully trained yet, but hey i only started 45 minutes ago! but he will flare at the mirror with the pen next to it and then to straight to the surface where i put the food. i got him to flair at the pen alone a few times. but it isnt as consistent. but it will be... this is fun :)

·
Registered
890 Posts

·
Nerd Alert.
5,718 Posts
My fish trained me to spend lots of money on them. How they did it, I have no idea.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.