The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just wondering what is a good thing to use to make soft water harder?
I remember reading it somewhere but can't seem to find it now.
Thanks

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Baking soda will raise kH.

Calcium chloride and magnesium sulfate will raise gH.

Dosing directions can be found in my Guide. Read them first as baking soda is extremely powerful.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm needing to raise the GH. Where can I find those products, Calcium chloride and magnesium sulfate?
Thanks

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Wal*Mart.

Magnesium Sulfate is more commonly known as Epsom Salts.

Calcium chloride can be found in the ice melter, the RV dehumidifiers, and one other place that I can't remember right now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You can find calcium chloride in pool/spa supply stores. Some of the big box stores that sell pools (inflatable or above-ground types) will have the stuff seasonally as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I put cuttle bone (it's mostly calcium carbonate) in my tank. Acid water dissolves it and keeps my 0 kh water at a more reasonable level. What's best is that it dissolves as needed. In fact, I've even seen my rubber lip eat it, like a salt lick.

Brandon

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
interesting...I never heard of that
I assume you get it from a bird supplier.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
I am just wondering what is a good thing to use to make soft water harder?
I remember reading it somewhere but can't seem to find it now.
Thanks
In addition to the others mentioned; Seachem's Equilibrium will raise GH also. Equilibirum Also, Barr's GH Booster will work. Dry Fertilizers

·
Registered
20 Posts
what about putting...i think it's natural peat moss in a nylon, rinsing it out, and hanging it in your filter outflow, i always heard that would buffer your pH.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts