The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 17 gallon reptile aquarium with top screen, heating pad and lamp for hermit crabs from kijiji. My kids are obsessed with crabs and so why not hermit crabs? Well, I realized they probably are not the best for us. They are nocturnal, spend weeks hidden in the substrate, and would need a bigger home eventually. Plus other reasons.
Any other suggestions to use this for that might be fun for kids but not snakes or lizards? I am not sure it would hold water.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Terrarium is an option. Take it outside see if it holds water. If it does then you have a qt tank or just another fish tank.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Your welcome! I think they are amazing and I love to share stuff I like with others. Also, they seem to fit your needs perfectly.

Good Luck and keep us updated on what you decide to you. :D

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Super happy! What type can your lfs get?
Be sure to read the threads on this website, also check into poison frog forums, many poison frog keepers also keep these crabs, as they have similar care requirements.
Try to have the terrarium setup before the crabs arrive. Any ideas on what plants you'll use?
Please do update!
:D

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot to ask what species they can get and the price. Thanks for the search tip. I had a hard time finding info on the crabs. I plan on putting some pennywort, moneywort, and java moss to start since that is what I have. Do you have Any specific recommendations for plants or substrate?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I forgot to ask what species they can get and the price. Thanks for the search tip. I had a hard time finding info on the crabs. I plan on putting some pennywort, moneywort, and java moss to start since that is what I have. Do you have Any specific recommendations for plants or substrate?
If you need help finding info, let me know in a PM.
Plants sound good, just be sure there are enough tall plants and other décor to give the crabs hiding places.
Also, be careful with carnivorous plants, they might eat the baby crabs.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the help. I forgot about babies and will be holding off on the carnivorous plants. I probably won't be able to get started on the setup for awhile because I have lots of stuff going on right now and want to learn as much as I can. I will update after a couple months assuming all goes to plan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.