The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to start stocking my 29g. Currently there are two guppies that came as kind of emergency inhabitants as a family member tore down a tank. I will be splitting them up as I hope to avoid fry (the female has not had fry in the last year, so fingers crossed!).

I have 6 oto's in my sons 10g that I was thinking of moving over. But I've heard they can be sensitive to a new tank. I do have algae wafers, cucumbers and zuchinni that I can supplement with. It would be easy to add them first as I already have them, but maybe I should wait until there are other fish first?

I also would like 6 pygmy cories. But again, maybe they aren't the best choice for the first inhabitants?

I'd like 10-12 neons. Would adding them all at once cause a mini cycle? Should I do them in two batches?

And last will probably be a betta. Let everyone else get established before he comes in.

I'm in no hurry and plan on spacing them out.

So, should I start with the otos as I already have them? Or would someone else be better first? Thanks!

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
Have you done a fishless cycle or using seeded media?

Otos are pretty sensitive so I'm not sure you should add those guys first. The neons would be the best bet IMO

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
it depends on how much media you are using from the other tank. If its a full canister filter dump them all in, but ifs its just a HOB that may be different

I read recently that Otos are sensitive due to bacteria that is present in their gut that helps break down the algae (dont remember where in the forum it was) and when they are exposed to another tank, they often experience issues with that bacteria staying healthy.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
About half the media was from my established tank, its been cycling for about 4wks now. The tank is fully cycled, and I have the two guppies, but I won't get to the lfs store until at least Tues for any more fish. That's why I was wondering if the otos would be good to move. I've had them almost 2mths in my other tank, they're good and healthy, not stressed and hungry like they may be when getting from the lfs. I don't want to lose the cycle with only two guppies either.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
A few days is not long enough to kill off that much bacteria, but if it is only a few days why not just wait anyway. Keep on feeding the bacteria with ammonia for a few more days, then do a big water change late Monday, and go shopping on Tuesday. Add all the fish at once.

The tank is not completely a new set up, since you jump started the cycle with used media. All sorts of other microorganisms came in with that media and have been growing for a month in the 29. I think that sort of set up can work well for the Otos and Dwarf Cories. It is not like a set up that just came out of a box yesterday.
I am assuming it is a planted tank, too. More microorganisms came in with the plants, and the plants themselves are part of the biofilter, not just for nitrogen, but for pretty much everything you can name.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice! I took my son to a birthday party today... which happened to be very near to my lfs. So I came home with a few party bags of my own :) I'll be watching the parameters, ready to do a water change if I need. I loved my tank before, but its so nice to have life in it. I have the lights off to keep things quiet for everyone, but I can't wait to just hang out in front of it tomorrow.

Oh, I got some pygmy corys, and I think they're quite young. I am swooning over how cute they are!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Pygmies are SO cute! Cories are one of those simple fish you can have for ever and never get bored of.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts