The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my new slate wall. I'm very glad It was a small nano I was doing for practice because there's definitely things I will do different the next time.
Anyways.. some parts look fantastic and others look.... Ok..
I would rather cover them up. So I thought... what about a plants that willl stick to the wall, or something attached to the wall to cover up the parts I dont like... Sort of like moss in the cracks of an old wall.
I thought about moss... But most of them get too large and fluffy for my liking.. Would small patches of
Süßwassertang do the trick? I've never seen it in person but like to look of it in pictures.. I think it would look awesome as long as it stays where I want it...
Or.. what else is there? I really havent hear dof most plants out there..

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fissidens looks really nice... Took another look at the wall... I dont just not like it.. I hate it... Alot... Need to dramatically fix it soon.. or I;m scrapping the whole tank...
Waiting for my phone to charge so I can take a pic.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I did this a few years back with a ten gallon. it looked great! for the gaps i mixed granitic sand with aquarium safe silicone. i wedged anubias nana 'petite' and various mosses into the cracks. mini pelia will only work if the flow is low, and it would otherwise fly away in the current.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its not the gaps that worry me.. its the umm.. lack of gaps... My OCD likes ot manifest itself in certain ways at certain times.. and this time it decided that all of the cracks and hols simply had to be siliconed and covered by more slate.. By the time It was done it looked terrible... its this main crack running through the center that I covered up with hundreds of tiny little pieces... Just stuck on top.. thinking about it is making me miserable.. The lower lefthand portion of the wall it going to be covered by Plants.... So I dont mind the ugliness as much, but that smalls strip in the up right corner - middle really bothers me...
I accidentally decided a nap in the sun with my cats was a good idea so I didnt really get a chance to take a photo.. Not that it matters.. I got out and there and had a realisation... Glass is reflective.. So really i was taking awesome photos of me looking pissed with a lovely SoCal sunset behind me. I'm setting it up with the aquarium lights that came with it inside in just a minute So I will post that...
Also, the flow in this tank is gonna be pretty low. Its main resident will be a Halfmoon Betta from a breeder in Thailand. Something with yellow black and blue maybe. So the filter isnt going to be terribly strong.
Other residents include An oto or two, Possibly some type of microrasbora, possibly an amano, and maybe a zebra nerite.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Boy is that light harsh... I really need to upgrade it....
But here it is.... That whole mess down in the lower elft is gonna be pretty much covered.. ignore the weird colour patches. I was wetting parts to see what it would look like.. In that light its aweful.. but in reality its anice dark grey...
Anyways.. heres the pics
Its a 5.5 gallon btw...

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Congrats on the second one I'm aware of to be posted here.
But with over 1.5 million posts I'm sure at least one other has been missed LOL.
Once flooded it will look really great I'm certain.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All thanx to you good sir! This is practice for my 46 gallon angel tank I'm planning on having. I'm already anxious to find nice koi angels.. I talked with a couple breeders, and they wouldnt sell me just one or two. Always groups of 4 - 6.
Good thing I practiced too!!
I know for sure there is a tank tiled with square travertine somewhere on here..
Well... theres still spots that I want to be covered. I'm thinking the fissidens or mini pelia would look nice.. i'll have to reasearch them more. This slate is awesome.. dark dark grey with black and white bits, only 50 cents a tile.. I only needed two lol..

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really like fissidens and mini pellia. I kinda want them both, But which would be easier to attach. Can I just super glue both of them to the cracks and rocks and watch them grow? I would like to attach fissidens to my driftwood and pellia to the wall...

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really dont like most mosses as thye get too large, thats why the fissidens and mini pellia seemed like good choices...
Do any of them have temperature limits? Because my room gets hoooooot during summer.
Can I just glue both of them on to the rocks?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think the wall looks great. Could you try to flip it upside down (if the upper right corner is still bothering you)?

I've read that the glue turns white. Again, I'm not sure how permanently the wall is secured, but maybe you place the fissidens where you want and then cover the whole wall in plastic netting/mesh until it attaches itself. Cotton thread is another option, and it will naturally disintegrate.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Flipping the wall would be a bit hard.. as the slate is siliconed to the back of the glass... Lol...
Super glue does turn white, I've used it with mosses
.. just wondering if it works out well with mini pellia.. Because that about my only option...
I broke the pieces of slate tile and siliconed them to the back of the glass in a sort of.. pattern I guess... Some of the edges of the slate are siliconed to one another, but mainly just to the glass...
I like fissidens.. Alot... But I dont think I like it for the wall... mini pellia seems to be what I want for the wall... The fissidens i think im going to attach to rocks and driftwood...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.