The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to re-stock my 26g flatback hex tank but I have an evil checker barb that attacks new fish. I tried to add neons once and had to frantically scoop them back out again because all the fish in the tank (I used to have more checker barbs and a large-ish school of rasboras) attacked them.

Current stock is:
-2 checker barbs (1m/1f - surprisingly the female is not bothered too much by the male - she tends to hang out with the rasboras)
-2 pork chop rasbora
-1 harlequin rasbora
-2 SAE

I'm not opposed to re-stocking the harlequin school, but I can't get pork chops locally anymore and the barbs are also hard to find (but not impossible).

I'd love to build a tank around some species of Apisto, but am unsure about the rest of the stock and whether the evil barb will endlessly harass new tankmates.

The tank is planted with fine grained sand substrate and driftwood decor. Filtration is an Eheim 2215. It has an open top because I've been unable to find a top that fits the strange shape.

Thanks for input/suggestions.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Other evil checkered barbs? They'd probably be calmer with more tankmates, and if not, the numbers will distribute aggression.
If you get more harlequins, the porkchops should school with them. They're close enough in appearance that I doubt they'll care much.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The aggression was actually worse with others in the tank. I had 3 males and about 6-8 females... the males basically ignored the females and concentrated on beating the crap out of one another. We even had a jumper right out the open top of the tank. Hubby threatened to flush the biggest, baddest one on a daily basis because he felt bad for the others (not surprisingly he's the one that's left). Most of the checker barbs that come in at my LFS are males because they are more colorful... and in the past I've gotten some I thought were female, only to have them color up and reveal their true gender when I put them in the tank at home.

I'm thinking I will get more harlequins... I really enjoy rasboras in larger schools. I was holding out for more pork chops because I prefer them but it doesn't seem like my LFS will be getting them in again.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
It could be possible that you have a psycho fish. If he'll beat up any other checkers that you put in, he must not want any more checkers, so it may be best to just leave him on his own unless he calms down.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Just put the bastard in a live breeder fry trap net for a week or so. He can see the other fish and they can see him...
By the time he goes back, things should be different.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Are barbs territorial? Since removing and readding is done for territorial fish mainly, like refreshing territory and letting the weaker ones have first hold? It worked for my False L-144 Ancistrus ast least. But plecos and cichlids are territorial fish. Would it work for barbs? Dont barbs have hierachy in their shoal and not territories? Correct me if im mistaken! :)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Are you dedicated to the checker barbs? If not...Id take them to a LFS especially if that one fish is preventing you from keeping what you want in the tank.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.