The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 29gal is almost cycled! And I'm narrowing down what I want for fish. A family member is giving me three swordtails (1m & 2f). I'm also thinking 5/6 panda cories and some amano shrimp as cleanup crew. My youngest son wanted a betta, but I think we've convinced him that the swordtails will be a gift to him, he loves the colour orange.

So now I'm thinking what to go with them. I think I'd like a shoal. I automatically think neons/cardinals as I do like how colourful they are. But I'm wondering if there are other suggestions I may not think of? I'm pretty open here, I've never really had anything but betas and guppies in the past (I still love both!). I have some Emerald Eye Rasboras in my little 10gal, but to be honest I find them a bit bland. I also have oto's in the 10gal which I love, but with the cories and amanos I don't think I'd need them too.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have black neon tetras and they're awesome. I got mine from the wetspot tropical fish online. They have great genetics. You could also go with pristella tetras, bloodfins, rummynose, lemon tetras.

Good Luck

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ooh, good suggestions! The apistos look like they have funny little mohawks! And the dwarf puffers really are cute. I don't know anything about them. I also like the black tetras, very striking. Thanks for the ideas!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Swordtails may bother the shrimp. So may the dwarf cichlids. German blue rams and the checkerboard cichlids are real nice in my opinion. Checkerboards if you want peaceful inhabitants.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts