The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i am starting this thread because i started to take over some ones post and me and some one else where talking... so to fill you in i am planing on keeping a variety of mosses (flame, java...) but i was wondering what to keep in the tank... well i decided to get about 15 cardinals, well he made a good point that i think i said i had about 6 watts per gallon and i am only keeping moss... but my problem is that it is a sand bottom tank... and i have never kept stem plant in a sand bottom tank so im not sure how good they will grow or do... and the tank is also getting injected with DIY CO2... so thats about it...

here are some pictures...
first four are the tank i am talking about up above
the next one is a picture of where i "hide" my piranha tank(as you can see my sand bottom tank of the far left)
next would be my piranha tank with my bed room closet open and my snake tank on the bottom and last but not least my four piranha's

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
The stem plants should be fine, (if taken care of properly!)

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Like fibertech said, root tabs work! How many piranahs do you have?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the guy that i was talking to before i made this thread said i would have ALOT of algae with 6 watts per gallon.. i was wrong its 5 watts per gallon and i have DIY CO2 but still people are saying i should have alot of algae but i haven't had any sense i set the take up 4-5+ weeks ago

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Sand is a type of gravel...just fine gravel. ;)

In general, stem plants are good choices for nutrient-poor sand because they get most of their nutrition through their leaves. As a (very general) rule of thumb: Lots of strong roots (e.g. Amazon sword plants) = root feeder. Weak/no roots = leaf feeder. Those tiny feeble roots that most stem plants have serve primarily to keep the plant in place.

Another beautiful plant family you may want to consider are Cryptocoryne. For example, C. lutea thrives in sandy substrate. It produces runners and can eventually cover your whole tank without become too weed-y and invasive: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...=1261434243739&aq=0&oq=cryptocoryne+lu&aqi=g2

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
You need to seriously cut down your lighting till you get some pressurized CO2 on the tank. And even then, you shouldn't need more than 2-3 wpg. If you're sticking with DIY CO2, then I'd go for a low light/low tech setup, since DIY CO2 doesn't really get distributed well through a large tank.

I agree that swords and crypts would be good choices, and easy to fertilize with root tabs.

If you go with stem plants, you'll probably have more luck dosing the water column with ferts.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You need to seriously cut down your lighting till you get some pressurized CO2 on the tank. And even then, you shouldn't need more than 2-3 wpg. If you're sticking with DIY CO2, then I'd go for a low light/low tech setup, since DIY CO2 doesn't really get distributed well through a large tank.

I agree that swords and crypts would be good choices, and easy to fertilize with root tabs.

If you go with stem plants, you'll probably have more luck dosing the water column with ferts.
hey its good to here from you... and thanks for the info was going to lower my wattage today but a changed some stuff on my tank and didnt have enough time... ill take pictures as soon as possible... but what kinds of fish would you say?? i was thinking about some loaches of different kinds with some cardinal tetras would that be good?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I prefer schools of small fish as a personal preference. Most of the small tetras would be a good choice (there are just about endless options, but besides Cardinals, Embers, Ruby, and Green neons are a few more of my own favs.)

Rasboras would make a nice school, too- and lots of species of those are easily available.

Cories would make good bottom dwellers/scavengers.

Most livebearers would work (and also give you a supply of feeders for the piranha)... you really have TONS of options! lol

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I actually keep livebearers out of my tanks these days since they'd run me out of house and home in like 2 weeks flat LOL

But if I were to keep livebearers again, I've always liked some of the wild-type gooedid/poecilia species. Endlers might be a temptation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.