The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have a 5.5 gal tank set up that im gonna put my cherry shrimp in to hopefully have some babies. but i really want some fish too. aside from ottos would you recommend any fish. i know its been said that fish would usually eat the babies but i want more to look at in my tank.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Pygmy cories and maybe some chili rasboras. I also had some ABN plecos with my shrimp with no noticeable decrease in my cherry population. Have a ton of moss and hiding spots and you can minimize casualties

·
Registered
411 Posts
Lots of hiding spots will be key. Starting off with just shrimp for a while helps too. It will let them get established first.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Lots of hiding spots will be key. Starting off with just shrimp for a while helps too. It will let them get established first.
+1
I have my cherries in with tetras, another tank with cories and endlers, and another tank with platies. While they aren't overpopulating the tank, their numbers are slowing increasing. It's kind of hit and miss with cherries and fish. I actually had a betta in a 20 gallon tank with the cherries and he left them alone. He actually would let them pick at his fins to clean them. Funny to watch.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
+1
I have my cherries in with tetras, another tank with cories and endlers, and another tank with platies. While they aren't overpopulating the tank, their numbers are slowing increasing. It's kind of hit and miss with cherries and fish. I actually had a betta in a 20 gallon tank with the cherries and he left them alone. He actually would let them pick at his fins to clean them. Funny to watch.
I want to see pics of the betta-cleaning! So adorable!

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
a 5.5 isn't very big for most fish to begin with. You want something small that does good in small numbers and small bioload. Maybe least killifish if you can find some or just keep it shrimp, which is what I would suggest. If you want a tank for fish, get a bigger tank and give them more room.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
A variety of micro rasboras, dwarf cories would be fine. Infact, i find regular cories and bristlenose plecos are also peaceful enough not to pay dwarf shrimp any attention.

As it goes for any type of aquatic livestock you wish to breed, not limited to shrimp, if you decide to breed, then separate. This rule would be no different for live bearers or egg layers whose offspring would equally fall prey to tank mates.

If you wish to breed shrimp without separation nor risk of shrimplet eaten, then keep a shrimp only tank, and skip amanos. Nuff said.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
They are aggressive feeders and would gladly trample shrimplets on the way to food. I have witness them to also pick on weaker unhealthy shrimp near death's door. remember these guys are extreme scavengers, cannibals with little discretion. There's no way that cherries, crystals or dwarf shrimp in general can compete during feeding times with an adult amano.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The gurami, tetras, and cories have a difficult time competing with the amanos in my girlfriend's tank. They will swim up and snag the food away from the fish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts