The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up my 75g and I'm trying to decide what substrate to go with. I liked aquariumplants.com substrate, has anyone tried it. I was gonna mix a bucket with a couple bags or eco-complete.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I would go with a bag of soilmaster select if you can find it. It is the same thing and you don't have to pay shipping. There is plenty of info about it on the board. You can get it from lesco or possibly another distributer for Oil-Dri products. One bag will give you good coverage and cost less than $20. I personally don't like mixed substates and do 100% of whatever I choose.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found a lesco dealer who's gonna look for th charcol, if he can't get it, could I get the red and throw some pea gravel on top to make it look nice.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Yeah that will work, as long as the larger gravel is on top. All smaller sizes go lower in a tank, over time. I did that with some Eco complete once and it looked fine.

BTW, do you have pretty hard water? SMS will most likely radically lower the pH/KH/GH. Which is good if you have very hard water. If you don't, something more inert like Turface Pro League, or Flourite might be the way to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts