The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my cycling process is almost complete in my 29 gallon and I'm looking for recommendations for fish. The plan so far is 10-12 Harlequin Rasboras, 20 RCS, 5-6 Kuhli Loaches, 5 Tiger Nerite Snails, and 1 male Betta. Besides the Harlequin I would like to have one more type of fish. I liked Neon Tetras but I've read they can be nippy and I want to be careful with the Betta. I've had Zebra Danios before and they were actually pretty aggressive with each other so I think those are out. Seems like most fish I research one person says they are peaceful and the next says they are nippy. Anything you can recommend that wouldn't pick on the Betta for sure? Or is it kind of a guessing game? Also I know I need to add fish slowly but how slow? Say the Harlequins, should I do 5 or so at a time or am I okay to add just them only and then move on to others fish?

Thank you

·
Registered
49 Posts
If anything, I would be worried more about the opposite happening. Bettas are known for being extremely aggressive. However, that also depends on what kind of betta you have. Male bettas are almost always notoriously aggressive, whereas females are not usually very aggressive. While many people will say bettas are not usually recommended for community aquariums, it can be done. My recommendation to you is to get fish that have relatively drab coloration, i.e. something that is not vibrantly colorful. Harlequins and kuhli loaches will likely be ok, but neons are definitely out, because of their coloration and because of their small size. There are lots of articles online that will tell you which species are the best candidates to be kept with a betta. If you find something you like, do your research on that too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've kept multiple bettas over the past few years with my oldest male living to 3 years in a 10 gallon tank filled with drift wood and some fake plants. Just let me say this guy was awsome he lived in community tanks at times and did great with all types of fish but slowed down exceptionally in his last 6 months to a year or so and I had to put him in his own slow current tank. I've also kept female bettas and while the males tend to be more agressive with other members of this species I've noticed the femails showing a lot more nipping chasing and outwards aggression towards tankmates and I had a trio of femail bettas at one time. So personally I'd stick with a solo male in a community tank and also for tankmates do a cool bottom feeder like the dojo loach or some red tail sharks possibly some Corey cats? The red tail might get to large but theirs one like them I've heard stays smaller but I can't remember their names

*female

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.