The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after 2 weeks of utter neglect and a massive algae outbreak i finally decided to do a thorough tank clean yesterday. This morning i noticed 4 cardinal tetra fry/juviniles. they are about 5ish mm length and show the blue and red color. since neglecting my tank so bad i hadn't noticed them. i'll asume since they made it this far they are eating something but is there anything special i should give them? i usually only feed my fish crushed spirullina flake and a few black worms. should that suffice?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Wow cardinal tetra fry are really hard to raise and they usually don't make it even when you are prepared for them. Congrats on your fry. They will probably eat anything small enough to fit in their mouths but baby brine will realy help if you can offer it once in a while.

I raised some cardinals back in the 1980's but it took several tries to get any kind of numbers. Because Cardinals are so cheap and they are imported by the millions they really are not worth the trouble to raise but I considered it "art for art's sake".

Bruce

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the replies. will look into the brine shrimp try and pick up some hikari and check out that thread. believe me i made absolutely no attempt to breed them and i only have two cardinals for the past month and a half that survived my move to new appartment. had no clue which sex they were and to be honest have been absolutely neglecting my tank. bit embarrased but had a severe clado outbreak (pulled out two fistfulls lastnight) and havn't even looked in my tank for the past two weeks. got home tonight and there are about 5 more of the little suckers swimming around now. about 9 all together. none of the fish in the tank seem to pay them any attention. my white clouds seem to like playing with em but are not eating them and the only two surviving adult cardinals dont go near the area of the tank the babies swim so hopefully they make it. a couple are at least half and inch and showing fairly vivid red and blue already.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Congrats, I did the same thing with glo lights. It seems, no water changes, very acidic water, lowering water levels and allowing the nitrates to climb up just a bit will get them in breeding action. After I did that for a few weeks, I did a large water change and noticed a bunch of little ones. Be careful taking out chunks of algae, they hide there, nibble off of food that gets caught there, and such. Feed them several times a day, small feedings each time. Best of luck!

Adam

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.