The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what would be the best plan for a planted 29 gallon tank's lights. it currently has a 17w flourescent bulb over it, (same one I have had since I set it up a couple years ago). the threads I have read are confusing (to me right now anyways) and I wanted to know what fixtures/bulbs would be best for it to sit on top of the tank. could anybody put it in a little simpler terms for a noob at lighting?:)
thanks in advance

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it depends on what you are wanting to do with the tank.

Are you planning on using any form of CO2 injection? If so, I'd recommend a single T5 High-Output bulb. Or two T5-Normal-Output bulbs.
I was thinking low to medium light, dosing excel. Now I get what the t5ho and t5no stand for, high output and low output,:D, lol, would those bulbs fit in a regular 24 inch light fixture or could I get a t5ho or t5no to replace the fixture in the hood with a little tinkering?
thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Your Lighting Question

Hello neon...

If you keep to low light plants, then the bulb that came with the tank should be sufficient. Java fern, Anubias, Pennywort, varieties of Hygrophila and Cryptocoryne will all grow in low light.

If you want something a little better, then a GE aquarium plant bulb, 6500 K, T8 is good. Get the highest watts available. Most hardware stores carry these bulbs for just a few dollars.

Again, stick to the plants I listed and that should be more than enough light and plants to fill a 29 G.

B

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
That's actually below low light. Most standard aquarium hoods were never intended to grow plants.

If you want to grow low light plants like the ones BBradbury suggested, I'd suggest adding an additional 17W light; otherwise I know from experience even those plants will struggle. I went into further details recently in this thread, which shows how I set up the additional light.

Excel works well with that setup, unless you plan on keeping anacharis. I use and like the GE bulbs BBradbury mentioned, and it's time to replace the one you have since it's a few years old. You won't be able to put a different wattage or style (T5) in your existing fixture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.