The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have couple of fish that decided to die on me behind some plants and driftwood that I can't get to? Should I let the bacteria break them down for the plants to absorb or find away to remove them? Also what can I add to the tank as a clean up crew to eat them. I don't know if they will spoil the water even with filtration.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Forceps/tweezers/thongs are the best way I can think of, aslong as it's not snagged onto something. I remember reading something on MFK how one of the user had to 'spear' the fish's corpse with a modified wire hanger because his tweezers wasn't good enough.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Use a piece of hose to siphon it out. Even if its too big to siphon through the hose, usually the siphon is strong enough to hold it onto the end of the hose so that you can get it to the surface. As far as leaving them in, depends on how big they are compared to the size of your tank. Couple of neons in a 55 are only going to feed your plants and other fish. I'd be pulling a couple of congo tetras out of the same size tank, for sure.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'd reach it out... nothing is unreachable, just move things around...

Even if you over filter your tank that ammonia spike is still going to happen as the fish breaks down... a dead person will break down eventually but we don't leave them lying on the street right?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Go to an auto parts store and ask for 24" CLAW PICKUP TOOL. Just rinse it well before using it. I even use it for placing items in the tank or feeding. Just be careful feeding some of the more aggressive animals with it.

I'm disappointed I did not even notice the earthquake. Was mowing grass.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Shrimp is amazing for eating dead livestock. Unless the dead fish floats to the top, I do not bother taking it out. The shrimp devour it in a couple hours.

But if you have no scavenger livestock, I'd go through the trouble to take it out, better be safe then be sorry. Especially if the dead fish is diseased.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If I don't find the dead fish within the first 24 hours of it dying, my loaches have usually got it picked clean pretty soon after that. I have 2 skunks, 2 zebras and a kobotai in my 44g. My skunks can be a little annoying, but the zebras and kobotai are fantastic.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
If you can't get to the fish, daily water changes will do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts