The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started a new tank in September. Java Fern (Trident - narrow) is the only thing that has not grown although they have been growing these crazy baby plants at the ends of their leaves. I had no idea Java Fern do this.

Here is one. I know part of the problem here is the aggressive Hydrocotyle tripartita has completely overgrown the Java Fern's position and I need to do something about that. I have nowhere to plant these baby plants, not sure how you are supposed to plant them (do you break them off???). I kind of like the primordial look of the mini plants with roots hanging down and the inverts sure love them. What will eventually happen to this plant if I leave like this? (assuming I keep Hydrocotyle tripartita trimmed back)
Leaf Groundcover Herb Annual plant Perennial plant

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The main way java fern spreads is from the rhizome extending, not from plantlets on the leaves. To me that usually means the plant is under some form of duress and is trying to preserve itself. "Replanting those is going to be tedious and not worth the payoff IMO.
That might have been part of my mistake. I am familiar with rhizome plants via anubias. I had no idea java fern is considered a rhizome. It appeared to just be roots. And I buried both ferns well into the substrate which I know with Anubias you are not supposed to do. So maybe that was the "stress". As far as duress, the fern leaves and the baby look green, robust, and healthy. I have been dosing Seachem Advance, which is supposed to accelerate rooting and shoots. I've wondered if that may be triggering the babies to grow.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
That might have been part of my mistake. I am familiar with rhizome plants via anubias. I had no idea java fern is considered a rhizome. It appeared to just be roots. And I buried both ferns well into the substrate which I know with Anubias you are not supposed to do. So maybe that was the "stress". As far as duress, the fern leaves and the baby look green, robust, and healthy. I have been dosing Seachem Advance, which is supposed to accelerate rooting and shoots. I've wondered if that may be triggering the babies to grow.
Yep java fern is treated the same way as anubias and buce. Grow best attached to something and definitely not buried with rhizome under substrate.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep java fern is treated the same way as anubias and buce. Grow best attached to something and definitely not buried with rhizome under substrate.
Will java fern grow on driftwood as well as anubias? I'm wondering if I should dig them up and attach them to my drift wood with the anubias plants. Sounds like I didn't do my homework and planted them wrong.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I take the medium to large size babies and super glue them to pebbles and use them in the foreground. I feel like it's such a waste to toss them, but then I'm looking at moving to a bigger tank next year and will need all the plant mass I can get to fill it in. Some of the oldest babies are pretty good size now.
It's a great idea. My baby ferns are so robust that I prefer not to waste them. While I don't have a lot of floor space, I have a lot of driftwood space so I think I'll do some surfing to see creative aesthetic ways folks tie/glue them to stuff. Thanks all for the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.