The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this 75 gallon aquarium and instead of the middle narrow center brace my last one had, it has this wide ugly piece of glass. It is covered in mineral deposits and possibly even etched some from previous salt wateraaquarium use. I think it is blocking a lot of my light also.

I have tried baking soda, vinegar, magic erasers and razors but they haven't helped hardly at all. Anyone know of any other options I can use for this?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
It may be possible to just remove it. My buddy had a 55 with a broken center brace and he just cut it out with no ramifications. The other option would be to replace the upper frame. Chances are if it was previously a sw tank then the glass is most likely etched. Another option would be to remove it and diy another center brace.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
It's an old Oceanic brand tank. The glass center brace was their trademark. The amazon link that kinzo provided says it's unavailable, but that doesn't mean you can't find it elsewhere. If it's in as bad shape as you say, this may be your best bet. Not a fast process. You could also try removing it and installing eurobracing around the perimeter, unless you've never worked with silicone before.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses! My only concern with polishing it is the fact that I am concerned it will just get crummy again. I found this new frame top with center brace built in, but it says it only fits up to 47 7/8". Mine seems to be exactly 48 x 18. I assume this won't fit then? Pretty good price!

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Bar Keepers is good, apply, cover for a while, and wipe off after some time. just cover it so it doesn't dry out.
Keep a cloth by your tank you can just use to wipe it down with regularly.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
My advise would be one of two things and neither is what we would like. First is to switch tanks and second is to learn to live with the tanks as it is now. Once etched, I do not see getting it clear in any reasonable time and effort. Replacing it hardly seems worth the price considering the hazards and time involved.
I cut the worry and stress out by just cutting my losses and moving on. I can make the price of a replacement tank in far less time than I can fix this problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.