The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since adding my Dension Barbs (Rose Line Sharks) my Red tailed black shark seems to chase them around. I have a 55G. He doesnt chase them around all the time, it is only when some type of food has been put into the tank. I really dont like seeing him chase my barbs around because they are rather expesnive and i dont want to lose any to stress. It also doesnt seem to be just the barbs.. he goes after pretty much anything that gets near him when hes in one of his 'moods'. I thought they were supposed to be peaceful if you only had one. I really like him and dont want to have to get rid of him because hes chasing my fish around :frown:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Unfortunately, RTBS do have a reputation for being bullies--and it's well earned, in my experience. If it weren't for my Y. modesta, he would run over everyone else in the tank. :frown:

How serious is it? Is he out to get them or just the food?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Typical of RTBS.

If he's got a cave in the tank (I recommend one if he doesn't have one yet) I'd try feeding him first by dropping a sinking wafer right in front of his cave. I've yet to meet the fish that can resist a Hikari sinking wafer, my fish all adore them.

Then when he's busy with that, feed the rest of the fish.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He doesnt chase them around when there isnt food (typically). Right after feeding he starts chasing my fish around! He usually swims all over the place and through plants. He can go under my driftwood to hide, but never really does. Prolly too packed with all my loaches :).

I dont want my Barbs to get stressed out because they are a rather expensive fish. $20>>>$5.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts